DVD Burn never finishes

Robeo

Hello all,

When I attempt to burn an ISO image to a DVD, it looks like it is working properly, then seems to hang and never finishes. It usually hangs with the top bar at 25% to 40% done. I have to end the process via task manager. The resulting disk is readable and appears normal, yet many of the files on it are corrupted or not readable, just listable. Any suggestions? It didn't write anything to the log during those sessions either. I tried two different iso's and several different disks, though all the same brand.

I am using IMGBurn 2.3.2.0, on Vista 32bit EE, on a Dell Dim 8400 with 2GB ram, plenty of HD space and a Plextor PX-760A with the latest firmware. The media I am using is HP DVD-R 16x. I left all the settings on default. Thanks in advance.

It would really help to see a log of you burning something.

The program doesn't ever really 'hang', it just waits for your drive to finish processing certain commands and may appear to have hung. When the drive responds (be it with success OR failure), the program will continue.

If the drive stops responding - or it's state never changes (as can happen when doing 'sync cache', 'closing track / session / disc'), it's normally a sign that the drive doesn't like the discs you're using.

If you're not doing so already, use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. They're by far the best.

As I said in my post, I am using a "Plextor PX-760A with the latest firmware." Yes, I have tried selecting cancel, and it doesn't respond. Not within 30-40 minutes anyways. Lightning, you state that the drive may not like the media I am using. Then how do you explain that the burn completes sucessfully using the same ISOs, the same media, and with the same Hardware using "FreeEasyBurner"? This is not a dig, but a real question. If the burner can use the media with their software, it should be able to use the same media with any software. Am I wrong? Is ImgBurn awaiting a response code that other softwares don't bother waiting for?

It would really help to see a log of you burning something.

Do this via Help --> ImgBurn Logs. We can't answer your questions properly without one and it's little use asking new questions until we see the logs.

As for your choice of media, sometimes 2nd rate stuff can be very hit and miss. Do try good stuff like Verbatims or Yudens

Regards

before i see the log, im going to guess that the media is CMC based, and Lightning_UKs right with

"it's normally a sign that the Drive doesnt like the discs"

closely followed by Blutach's

"sometimes 2nd rate stuff can be very hit and miss" :thumbup:

I appreciate everyones help, but please read all the posts before jumping in with something thats already been said or answered.

I attempted the burns again, and ImgBurn stopped responding again. I waited 55 minutes and then canceled the operation. It took another 30 minutes before the program actually canceled the operation. Finally it yielded the log below. Does this look like a hardware conflict to you? It looks like the DVD-Rom keeps dropping out.

To Volvo: Yes, according to the logs, the media is CMC MAG. AM3. A little googling shows that NO ONE likes this media! I thought buying HP branded media would be safe. Oops.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 - Log

; Tuesday, 26 June 2007, 10:46:12

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 17:26:30 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 17:26:30 Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 17:26:30 Total Physical Memory: 2,094,640 KB - Available: 1,357,548 KB

I 17:26:30 Initialising SPTI...

I 17:26:30 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 17:26:30 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

The program that submits the write commands shouldn't make a difference. The only thing it can be if 'FreeEasyBurner' REALLY does always work 100% of the time and ImgBurn always fails is that it's using the Packet/Incremental write type rather than DAO, which ImgBurn defaults to.

Either way, it's still a drive issue. Both write types should work, or both should fail.

Just try changing the 'Write Type' setting to Packet / Incremental in ImgBurn's settings.

Of course the media is the root cause of your problems and as everyone has already said, you should ditch it and start using some good stuff. Don't ever go by the brand name, it doesn't mean anything.

To Volvo: Yes, according to the logs, the media is CMC MAG. AM3. A little googling shows that NO ONE likes this media! I thought buying HP branded media would be safe. Oops.

Dont worry Robeo , we've all been there in one way or another regarding poor media.

Recommendations in here are

For single layer DV5 either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatims ( safest is the datalifeplus variants)

For Dual layer DV9 only Verbatim will do

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.