Problem Splitting ISO Layers

KD17

Alright, I'm trying to make a backup of a Dual-Layer DVD. (This is not movie. Data DVD)

First I created an ISO of the disc, but when I click on "Display IFO Layer Break Information" I get and error message that says "Failed to get layer break informaiton from IFO".

Does this mean I can't split the layers? Help would be appreciated.

If it's not a movie DVD, there's no IFO file to get the layerbreak info from.

The physical layerbreak position of the DL media will be showing in the info panel on the right when you have the disc in the drive. Just scroll down to the bottom of the text.

OK, thanks. I see where it says where the break is.

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 1,513,663

Layer 0 Sectors: 1,317,056 (50.75%)

Layer 1 Sectors: 1,277,904 (49.25%)

Now how do I split that into two layers? Sorry for the annoyance. New to ImgBurn.

i presume your trying to use single layer media ?

use read mode and copy to your hdd

then build mode and add 50% of the files ( use the calculator) and brun to a DV5 disc , then repeat with the other files

Guides in the guide section

OK, Thank You. And yeah, I'm planning on using 2 DVD5's. And just to be sure, you want me to copy the one single 5 GB ISO on to the HDD right? Then separate afterwards?

Thanks Again.

Edited by KD17

From the info you've posted, it would fit on one DVD5 plus one CD. Use Windows Explorer to copy the data from the DVD to your HD, split the data as you wish, then use ImgBurn in Build mode to burn that data to disc :)

Alright, I set the max sectors to 1317056 (2572 MB), but when I click Build I get an error message that says file exceeds limit imposed by ISO9660 file system. It says 5,000 MB is too much, but didn't I just designate the maximum?

EDIT: I just realized that when I set the maximum sectors, that's only for the L0. All I need to know really is how to just select those sectors for the entire ISO that I need to build.

I also tried changing the file system to UDF so there isn't a 4GB limit, but when I press build and choose the location it still wants to build the entire 5GB. I know I'm doing something wrong.

Sorry again for the inconvenience, I just think I'm missing something small.

If someone has the time and patience can you just give the steps that I need to follow from the beginning. Thank You.

Edited by KD17

You're trying to do something that simply isn't possible!

If you have an ISO file and only want *some* of it's content, it's down to you to remove it. ImgBurn simply burns exactly what it's given.

Mount the ISO in DAEMON Tools or something and then just drag over the folders you want on the disc into the 'source' window.

I suggest you put the options on the 'Media' tab back to their default values.

No.

Don't think of the layers as individual data containers or 2 different discs stamped together, they're not.

To the software, it's all one big disc really. There's nothing to say a file won't cross (span) the physical layer break - i.e have some of it's data on the first layer and the rest on the 2nd.

When you address the sectors of the disc, they just go up in sequence from the start of layer 1 to the end of layer 2.

i.e.

Start of disc (LBA): (start layer 1) 0, 1, 2, 3.... 14, 15.... (switch to layer 2).... 16, 17, 18... 29, 30, 31 (End of disc).

All in all, the disc goes from LBA 0 to LBA 31, with the phyiscal layer break position somewhere inbetween.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I didn't know if it would work because there's no garauntee that that each layer can work independantly.

I figured it was worth a shot though to see because I've seen other people do it. The DVD that I'm trying to back up is a Playstation 2 video game for my younger sister. I've had another Dual Layer game a couple months back that I needed to back up, but I was never able to for obvious reasons, but someone on the internet posted a torrent saying The layers are separated into 2 DVD5 ISO files. So I got them and just burned them separately and they worked. You just switch when you finish with the first.

I know this is probably rare and most Data DVD's don't work like this, but like I said, was hoping this one did.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by KD17

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.