help with problem burning dvds

HABS

OK let me try to make this the shortest I can: this are my specs

xp sp2, athlon xp 1700+, 1 gig ram - (32 megas for internal video), MOBO MSI 6390, HD 40gig, HD 20 gig, Plextor dvd burner 716A (IM USING MAXELL DVD+R MEDIA) ALSO plextor burner has latest firmware 1.11

I got help from Plextor support and a friend to solve the basics. I was having problems burning dvds, as some would burn at 8x and some would not. Eventhough it could last an hour to burn dvds at 8x the media would come out ok and readable. BUt it wasnt like this in the beginning. When its burning, the burner stops for some time and then continues and this will happen several times.

I did a self test in the manual for my plextor burner putting jumpers and results came out OK ( so this discards problem with burner I think)

The burner was supposed to be ultra dma mode 4 but was at 2. the HD was at pIO and was supposed to be at ultra dma mode 5. At this point it sounded logical that a problem like this could be happening. I change the cable and that seem to be the problem as all values are back to normal. So i burn something and burning still took long. I have never had problems with IMGBURN so i decided to burn a PS2 834 megas image at 8x and it average 2.1 and lasted more than 6 minutes which is a lot. During the burning, the burner stop a lot, I have attach the log

any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

HB

ImgBurn_800.log

Edited by HABS

Now you've fixed the hardware issue (new 80 wire cable I assume?), follow the post in the FAQ about DMA.

You just need to uninstall the IDE controller entry from within Device manager and reboot.

You should also ditch the CMC media and get some decent Verbatim (MCC) or Taiyo Yuden stuff. Most modern drives will slow themselves down if they realise the burn quality is quite low on the media they're writing to.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.