Slow Folder Access

Nytburnr

I have used Img Burn for quite some time and find it to be excellent. My question is this: What would make the program access folders slowly? This has just happened recently. I uninstalled the program and re-installed. When I click on "browse", the hourglass stays there for 45 seconds and more. I click on My Computer and the same thing...I click on the Movie Master Folder...same thing...finally I get a list of my movies. Once I pick the movie, it is fine. It burns great! Any ideas? Other similar programs do not have this problem. I did recently get Any Dvd, but I always make sure it is deactivated.

Sounds like something is heavily using the CPU. Check in task manager.

Regards

DMA is fine. DVD's rip and burn fine. Ripping 6x to 8x + and Burning 4.5x to 8x (my setting). The heavy use of CPU is on the money. I don't know how to check to see what is running it up to 80%-90%+ as soon as I clicked on Movie Master Folder. When I check programs on task manager, it shows ImgBurn and ATT Yahoo which is internet. Also, If I use Clone, when I access the files it is almost instantaneous.

Heavy CPU usage is why I asked you to check DMA. The more you tell us, the quicker we can help. We ain't psychic. :)

Bring up your task manager (ctrl+alt+del) then click on the processes tab. Now try and get a directory listing and have a look under CPU to see what programs are using what resources.

Heavy CPU usage is why I asked you to check DMA. The more you tell us, the quicker we can help. We ain't psychic. :)

Bring up your task manager (ctrl+alt+del) then click on the processes tab. Now try and get a directory listing and have a look under CPU to see what programs are using what resources.

I did what you said and under CPU it was all zeros except 99 under idle. I clicked on the Master Movie Folder and it opened immediately. Now it works fine. The only thing I can think is that I cleaned the registry and deleted temp files. Then I defragged the disk. I thought those were good things to do to keep the computer running efficiently.

Now that the files are already showing in the Pop Up window when I click on browse, it works great. That is how it had worked before.

For future reference, do you think what I did to "clean things up" was the problem. It sounds like it to me, but I am no expert.

Keep an eye on things for a bit. If it is happening again, while you are waiting drumming your fingers, press crl-alt-delete and double click on the CPU column. You'll soon see what is eating up CPU cycles. BTW: How much memory do you have (not that opening a folder takes much).

Regards

As the 'browse' box is a standard windows API call, any program that uses it should be the same (speed wise).

Do remember that the OS will probably cache the info too, so it may only be slow the first time you open it - as Windows may then be working out the details of the files within that folder - this may include playback time and resolution if the folder contains AVI files etc.

Well, I want to thank all of you for your help. I was trying to figure out what I had changed. I mentioned the only things in previous posts. Here is what the problem was:

My internet carrier did an update on its virus filters. I remembered I had to click the updates. That was about the same time all this started. I watched the CPU section of task manager as you suggested. I clicked on the the Master Movie Folder. Immediately CPU usage went up to over 90%. I scrolled down and found the program. I went into the settings for the virus filters. As soon as I turned off the section for "Reel Time", it was fine. It has never gone over 2% since. The filters still work on Email and several other areas.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.