Need Reliable Drive/Media setup

Risuun

I have a Samsung SH-S182M and I've tried 2 different DL discs and have failed every time! I've only had luck with single-layer Verbatim DVD+R 8x (lightscribe).

Here's what I have tried:

Single Layer:

Verbatim DVD+R 8x (lightscribe) - WORKS

Dual Layer

HP DVD+R DL 2.4x (CMC MAG-D01-00) - FAILED

Verbatim DVD-R DL 2x-4x (MKM 01RD30) - FAILED

I started out with the HP discs first and, when it started failing, I updated the firmware. That didn't solve anything. I've checked a review (http://www.extrememhz.com/shs182m-p7.shtml) of that drive and it says that it only likes -R DL media. So, I searched online and bought the Verbatim DVD-R DL 2x-4x discs. They all fail. I usually don't even get an error about it. It usually just says that the burn was sucessful and then the media just appears blank (is there data on it?). Using verify shows that they failed.

If there are no good DL discs for that drive, then is there a drive that can actually write to a specific type of DL? I just want to be able to burn DL discs for clients and for backup purposes.

If I need to go with only single-layer discs, what's the fastest and most reliable media for my drive?

Edited by Risuun

I have a Samsung SH-S182M and I've tried 2 different DL discs and have failed every time! I've only had luck with single-layer Verbatim DVD+R 8x (lightscribe).

Here's what I have tried:

Single Layer:

Verbatim DVD+R 8x (lightscribe) - WORKS

Dual Layer

HP DVD+R DL 2.4x (CMC MAG-D01-00) - FAILED

Verbatim DVD-R DL 2x-4x (MKM 01RD30) - FAILED

I started out with the HP discs first and, when it started failing, I updated the firmware. That didn't solve anything. I've checked a review (http://www.extrememhz.com/shs182m-p7.shtml) of that drive and it says that it only likes -R DL media. So, I searched online and bought the Verbatim DVD-R DL 2x-4x discs. They all fail. I usually don't even get an error about it. It usually just says that the burn was sucessful and then the media just appears blank (is there data on it?). Using verify shows that they failed.

If there are no good DL discs for that drive, then is there a drive that can actually write to a specific type of DL? I just want to be able to burn DL discs for clients and for backup purposes.

If I need to go with only single-layer discs, what's the fastest and most reliable media for my drive?

several things

the drive you mention is NOT limited to -R dual layer media.

Quote from the link you gave " What most will be happy to know is that the SH-S182M does support bit-setting and you can set Nero (spit) to automatically set the booktype to DVD-ROM prior to burning +R media."

so you CAN use +R dual layer media

the first dual layer disc you used HP DVD+R DL 2.4x (CMC MAG-D01-00) was just a low quality one, which is more than likely why it wouldnt work

go for the verbatim +R dual layer and write at 2 or 4 speed .

post a full log of a burn with normal single layer discs for us, and we may be able to help you a bit more

most multi frive burners will happily write to single or dual layer media,

most drives will happily write to taiyo yuden 8x or verbatim single layer discs

likewise, most dual layer drives will write to verbatim datalife +R dual layer media as well

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.