is there a utility to test burners laser in case it's dying ?

Burn Baby Burn

Hi I have a pioneer 107D and Liteon 1619S and a friend has a Pioneer (I forget model but it's a few years old)

We both have problems burning discs sometimes it's "Power Calibration" and can't start but very recently for both

of us discs burn without errors but neither DVD-players or the PC can read them the PC shows them as blank

We were talking about it the other night and that we both have the very same problem using different software

(img burn, Nero, Cheetah)

We try different brands (I mostly use T.Y) we were wondering if there is a way to check the burners motor/lens/laser

a utility that can test the lasers burn strength that can tell if it is becoming weak or is not aligned properly just becuase burners are cheap doesn't mean I should buy one unless the old one is really faulty.

There are programs like DVD info to test the disc dye and burn quality

Is there a utility to test a burners laser quality and strength ? ........... could be useful !

For anyone reading this with a similiar problem looking for an answer .......... one solution we found is before burning to

## turn OFF ## (not restart) the PC ...... then turn PC on and burn but no more than 2 discs ....... Turn off and turn on a again etc ........ the turning off / on seems refresh burner working with the software

For me it's weird as the Pioneer is old but the Lite-on is only 2 years old strange it's happening to both ....... oh yes we have virus programs etc and latest firmware.

any .............. know all's around here B)

untick test mode maybe.

Or open up drives and look directly at laser, if you go blind it's working, if you were blind already and now you can see, it's working. :wacko:

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

"Power Calibration"

Just to contribute a little bit....power calibration (if you don't already know)

1. Cheap media, you state you typically use TY's so shouldn't be a problem.

2. Bad power from PSU or bad PSU, check connections and cables and maybe try different ones.

3. Burner has one foot in grave, replace drive.

Since we assume the media is good and we don't want to buy a new drive if it isn't necessary I would try the connections and cable route...just to rule that out as well.

Edited by LOCOENG

untick test mode maybe.

Or open up drives and look directly at laser, if you go blind it's working, if you were blind already and now you can see, it's working. :wacko:

i only went blind in 1 eye ?? does that mean i can still burn CD's but not DVD' s?

/me waits for the joke about excessive masturbation :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.