ADIP vs. Last Recorded information?

polarbeer

Hi,

I'm fairly new to ImgBurn software and wanted to know why there are these two sections called "Physical Format Information (ADIP)" and "Physical Format Information (Last Recorded)". These sections are visible in the information area on the right part of the main user interface, when I insert a DVD+R (written and finalized) disc in the drive. Where is this information obtained from?

I have a Samsung SH-S202N drive (SB01 firmware) and running WinXP Home.

Following is a copy of my ImgBurn information field after inserting a Verbatim DVD+R 16x disc in the drive. The disc was burned with ImgBurn and contains .jpg and .avi-files. I first builded an image in ImgBurn from the files on my hard drive, and then burned the image with ImgBurn on Verbatim DVD+R 16x.

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202N SB01 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 1 961 120

Size: 4 016 373 760 bytes

Time: 435:50:20 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 4x; 6x; 8x; 12x; 16x; 18x; 20x

TOC Information:

Session 1...

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 1961119)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 1961120)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196 608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2 491 711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: =AFhQ$pk8@L:8hc`i$dDPaxb,"

Book Type: DVD-RAM

Part Version: 0

Disc Size: Reserved (0x07)

Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps

Number of Layers: Reserved (0x06)

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: Reserved (0x0C)

Track Density: Reserved (0x0C)

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 2 312 648

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 7 569 984

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2 319 564

Thanks for a quick reply, but even after total computer shutdown the information is still the same "rubbish".

I don't know if this has something to do with the fact that during the burn process there was an error, which is bolded in this snippet from ImgBurn log file:

I 23:30:30 Writing LeadIn...

I 23:30:45 Writing Image... (LBA: 0 - 1961119)

I 23:38:55 Synchronising Cache...

I 23:39:00 Closing Track...

I 23:39:03 Finalising Disc...

W 23:39:19 Potential 'WaitImmediateIO' Deferred Error - (0/2) - Program Memory Area Update Failure

I 23:50:06 Image MD5: ea376056cd9d1f0bd436b599bea8ab1a

I 23:50:06 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:19:38

I 23:50:06 Average Write Rate: 8 004 KB/s (5.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 8 375 KB/s (6.0x)

I just clicked retry in error dialog and burn process seemed to go well. Verify didn't report anything wrong with the disc and in Windows Explorer all data seems allright on the disc (just opening a couple of files from the disc).

Until now everything has worked "like the toilet of the train" (=very well) with Verbatim discs. First I wasn't able to burn DVD-R with Nero 7 or 8 and now problems with DVD+R in ImgBurn >_<.

Maybe there's something more cryptic wrong with my computer :/. Samsung drive is brand new. DMA is enabled also.

By the way, what's the logic of these two "Physical Format Information" -fields? ADIP and Last Recorded?

Should ADIP tell what kind of disc the current disc in the drive is as blank? And should Last Recorded -portion tell how the disc is recorded?

Maybe dumb questions but I couldn't find help on this subject during search...

Yup that's exactly right.

ADIP is 'read only' and the Last Recorded one is updated at the end of the burn (this is done by the drive, not the program).

As the finalisation failed, that's probably why you're getting bogus info. Samsung drives seem very bad at this.

Does not seem much movement from Samsung about a firmware update to 202H as I emailed them told them about the finalise not being as good as it should , As the other 202 have had a firmware update I thought they might be forthcoming with a beta to try but insisted there was no problem with my drive LOL.

I replied and told them they obviously have not tried to burn with some of their newer writers and merely burning 1 disc would not show up any errors.

Still waiting for a response from them again.

Have not checked for a few days to see if SB01 has been released for 202H

[edited because I am stupid] I Own the H version.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.