'Reparent' function

Guillaume

I'd very much like to see the following function added to the Build mode:

Suppose I add a file or directory called 'Willem'. Now that will go to [root]\Willem on the disc.

Now I want to be able to 'reparent' this file/folder in two possible ways:

1. I want to add a folder before it: [root]\Added folder\Willem(\files) on the disc.

2. I want to substitute another folder name for the folder Willem: [root]\Substitute folder\files on the disc.

Prassi ONES does this very nicely:

To add a folder (1):

addfolderer2.png

To substitute one (2):

substfolderlq7.png

Edited by Guillaume

That doesn't apply so much for backing up files that have standard folders on your computer, but where it will make no sense to apply that exact same structure on the disc. Or when you want to make a folder called 'Backups' on the discs and then put some folders from HDD in it, like My Documents, Application Data, or whatever. To copy 4-8GB to another folder on the harddrive just to get the folder structure on the disc right just doesn't make sense.

You're right. It doesn't make sense. At least not to me anyway. ImgBurn was never designed to be a professional backup utility. It's for general, everyday use by non-professionals. That said, automating the backup is the easy part via a batch file and a cron or scheduler but you're talking about manually changing paths and directory structure within ImgBurn itself for reasons that are obviously beyond me as we try to teach people to prepare their task before burning. It makes things easier for us as well and for the majority of users.

Perhaps I'm just being stubborn but a task like a bootdisk isn't going to change radically. Afterall, you will retain most of the directory structure and the files included within. Changes obviously take place but the basic structure of the disk will remain unchanged and intact. Maybe a few sub-folders or files changed but your root folder is essentially the same.

Lastly, copying 8GB of data to a folder somewhere isn't as much of a problem as it used to be. Particularly if you're using the same folder all of the time and also because large capacity HDs are so cheap these days. Microsoft have free sync software available to scan for changes in a source folder and automatically create backups via the scheduler. Also, batchfiles for copying a large amount of files can also be run via the scheduler. I'm not trying to be a dick but if your files are that critical, send them to another HD and then send those files to ImgBurn and do both tasks automatically.

I get your point, and I think this makes it clear that I was too confident that this would be the worthy successor of Prassi's discontinued ONES. I realize that the idea behind this program might be different than I expected. A real shame, since there are hardly any freeware alternatives to something like ONES or Complex Evolution.

Multi-session (in the technical sense of burning some now and some later) just isn't used by the majority anymore. Most of us here have fought with InCD and other packet writers at one stage or another but since the advent of flash drives and also cheap, high capacity HDs, we just don't use multi-session.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.