burning movie clips & photos to DVD using new Imageburn

Sossity

using the latest version of image burn, in build mode am planning to burn my various jpg photos & mpg movie clips that my still camera takes, onto blank single layer DVDs. I am using the over view of build mode as my guide, ( read this guide, & will use the settings it recommends, I can use build mode overview settings for my project right? ) I noticed the newest version of imageburn has different UDF revision settings, which one would be best for my project? the build mode overview guide seems to show the older version of imageburn. Someone recommended that I use all three; ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF settings to make sure my DVDs are compatible with as many computers possible; these will be archive backup/ discs of my important files, & want them to be cross platform & readable by both older & newer Macs & PCs. would also be nice if DVD players could read them too.

Sossity

The most compatible filesystem(s) option is ISO9660 + Joliet. If you have files with names longer than 64 characters you might want to use ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF. By the way, the most compatible UDF revision is 1.02.

Since you're burning important data, leave Verify enabled when burning and, especially, don't use cheap media: they may burn and verify OK for now, but later the disc could be unreadable. Preferrably use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden blanks, as these have proved to keep their quality over time :thumbup:

thank you for the reply, just to check other settings;

In build mode;

Under the options tab; which of the empty boxes ( under the file system choices ) do I check off?

In the advanced tab; do I need to make it a bootable disc? do I need to check off any of the dates? under restrictions what items do I check off for ISO9660, Joliet, & UDF?

when I bring in folders from my hard drive to burn to my disc, is there anyway I can edit the folder names that appear in the window? I tried right clicking & highlighting the folder but no windows options show up where I can rename them. I tried this because I read that all file names should no more than 31 characters long to insure maximum compatibility, & many of the folders that I want to burn have long file names. The folder names are long because they describe the content in them for reference.

Sossity

The default settings should be fine (go to the Options tab and click Reset Settings just to be sure :) ).

If you're worried that the final result might not be what you want, set Output to Image File before clicking the Build button. That way an image file will be created, and you can mount that image file to a virtual drive (with a program like Daemon Tools, Alcohol 52%/120%, etc) to check how it turned out.

Do I need to concern myself with the length of the folder names that I am burning to discs, should I try to keep the names to 31 characters or will they be readable/universal to different computers as they are; with the long descriptive names? does it matter?

pardon my ignorance, what is a virtual drive? how do they work? how do I use my built image file with it?

thanks for all your help so far

Sossity

The program will tell you if any file/folder names have been truncated / modified due to your settings, keep an eye on the log window.

A virtual drive acts just like a real one except it accepts disc images and not real discs.

You 'mount' your image in the virtual drive and to windows, it'll look like a real one - showing up in explorer / my computer etc.

You still do the 'building' with ImgBurn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.