Another dual-layer burn problem - help, please...!

hammer357

HELP...I've searched the forum and can't find a definitive answer to my problem.

My problem surfaces when I try to burn DL DVD's - single layer burns are no problem.

All was well using Fujifilm brand +R DL (2.4x) disks until I ran out. I went to the nearest Best Buy and bought Memorex brand - big mistake - my NEC drive was finally able to recognize and burn one, but then it wouldn't read it again. I took them back and exchanged for Verbatim +R DL disks.

The new disks are being properly identified by several programs as +R DL disks, but all three of my burning programs - DVDFab Platinum (using VSO engine), Nero, and ImgBurn all fail on these new disks. It is mentioned many times in the forum to use Verbatim disks - these new ones are the 8x disks, identified as MKM-003 (made in Singapore) instead of MKM-001. My NEC burner has the latest firmware (v3.01).

The most informative error log is provided by ImgBurn (attached), and the final message is Incompatible Format.

I've changed several WRITE settings as suggested in several forum entries but nothing has helped.

Is it just crappy media, or is my old burner just not compatible with the newer 8x disks?? Seems like something else may be going on here....

Thanks for any help...

============

Here is the latest ImgBurn log:

I 12:09:37 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 12:09:37 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 12:09:37 Total Physical Memory: 3,143,216 KB - Available: 2,055,324 KB

I 12:09:38 Initialising SPTI...

I 12:09:38 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 12:09:38 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

I 12:14:01 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: MKM-003-00)

Your burner doesn't support those Verbatim 8X DVD+R DL blanks (notice that it doesn't show any Supported Write Speeds for this media). Time for a new burner, I guess :)

I saw your post yesterday, and decided to mess on with mcse and I swapped the unused mkm 02 or 01 with 3 the idea being to save firmware and get you to flash but I could not save out the firmware, I got an error to tell me it was read only.

Have fun with your new drive

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.