Dual Layer Problems

w00t

I recently bought a number of Memorex Dual Layer DVDs to burn some large files from my computer. The first two I ran were perfect, no problems at all, and then I got 6 bricks in a row...any ideas?

Both Nero, and ImgBurn are not working any more, but all single layer dvds seem fine, I've done 3 more singles since failing at the doubles.

Here is the log from both ImgBurn and Nero

I 18:41:05 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 18:41:05 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 18:41:05 Total Physical Memory: 3,144,812 KB - Available: 2,386,432 KB

W 18:41:05 Drive F:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 18:41:05 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:41:05 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:41:05 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD

I recently bought a number of Memorex Dual Layer DVDs

I 18:42:24 Destination Media Type:Disc ID: RITEK DVD+R DL (-S04-66) (Speeds: 2.4x)

Just to clarify, you didn't buy Memorex media but RITEK as shown above. Our experience shows them to be dodgy at best. Grab some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media and see if it helps. Just so you know, niether ImgBurn nor Nero is at fault here. Your drive is reporting an error (maybe the drive itself but more than likely the media) and the burning software is displaying that error.

Is there an explanation for the two working dvds? Was that just luck or what?? I find it hard to believe that 2 dvds could work and 6 more could fail, but I suppose it's not out of the question.

It could be that the media is not listed in the drivers firmware and that the burner is using a generic write strategy.

Have you tried to check if your computer brand has a later firmware to download?

:)

Is there an explanation for the two working dvds? Was that just luck or what?? I find it hard to believe that 2 dvds could work and 6 more could fail, but I suppose it's not out of the question.

Just to add to spinners and everyone else's excellent advice. The reason you get a few to burn and then several coasters is because the media/company is not consistent with the product. This is why Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are recommended brands, are proven to be consistent, compatable and reliable....and you also know what you are getting when you buy them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.