Perch

spinningwheel

Loco;

Went out on our boat yesterday for Yellow Perch. Lake Erie has come back as an excellent fishery and it's full of Perch, Walleye Pike, Steelhead Trout, Largemouth, Smallmouth and White Bass as well as a lot of rough fish such as Carp, Freshwater Drum and Catfish.

We went out for about 3.5 hours and caught 40 keepers, probably threw back 50 sub-10 inch fish also. Waves at 1-3 feet with a NorthEast wind with temps in the mid 70's, so it was a great day. :thumbup:

Sounds like you yo-yo'd 'em spinner. I used to love fishing when I was land locked in WV, but now that I live on the coast and I'm surrounded by water, I've probably been 2 times in the last 9 years. You have to own a boat or know some one willing to share their honeyhole with you...and then you have to get your schedule right. With gas prices going up like they have in the last few years the offers are fewer and less frequent.

I'd say those freshwater Drum are pretty tasty...the saltwater cousin (Red Drum or spot tail) are preferred here in the south. My personal favorite is flounder....nothing like a fish fry with some frogmore stew.

Maybe one of these days I'll get me a little skiff to take my boy out in some of the local tidal creeks for some killer fishing.

Loco;

Freshwater drum here are considered a rough fish, and since it's a bottom feeder, they can't be eaten without the fear of serious heavy metal poisoning and other pollution related problems. The lake was really bad until a major clean-up effort was started about 20+ years ago. Industrial pollutants from Sherwin-Williams, among others, and heavy metals from the steel making industry seriously screwed up the waters. Over the years conservation, serious clean-up efforts, heavy handed laws and the lowly zebra muscle did what was thought impossible...cleaned up the lake and most of it's tributaries. The heavy polutants were ingested by the zebra muscles and, over the course of about 12 years, the lake cleared and the muscles died out leaving a 3 foot coating of muscle shells along the bottom of the lake. Since the little critters filter a litre of water a day for food, and since they pulled out all the polutants that were not stuck in the bottom muck layer...the lake is clear and really impressive to look at....a As long as no one disturbs the bottom muck layer.

I agree about the boat, that's why we bought one last year...now I'm at the mercy of work and the weather...you can't win....lmao.

Donta;

That's the one!!!

Cynthia;

Right on the money. Just the yellow fins instead of the red tint and you've got the size we were taking right now. As far as bones, I agree with you, way too many. However I fillet the sides off of them, skin them and then cut out the rib cage and that only leaves the back and side meat...the rest goes to fertilize the garden or whatever flowers and shrubs need the blast of nutrition :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.