Image Burn locks up on Vista Ultimate?

Oto Rustandi

I used to burn all my DVDs using DVD Decrypter without any problems at all on my old PC (ECS mb with an Athlon 64 and 2GB RAM) and Windows XP with SP-3 and a PIONEER DVR-A108 burner.

I recently upgraded to a Gigabyte mb and a Pentium Dual Core E8400 3GHz with 4GB of RAM, and the same PIONEER DVR-A108., using Windows XP SP3

During writing of an ISO file using DVD Decrypter, everything progessed smoothly until about 80% of the process, when the write speed slowly slows down to 0. I waited about 20 minutes then aborted. The funny thing is, my PC just hangs without any error message whatsoever. I can't even eject my disc until a new reboot.

Next I used the latest Image Burn program with Vista Ultimate installed on the same mb. The whole process now locked up at about 40% of completion. And again I have to do a reboot to eject my disc.

Being unsure of the Pioneer burner, I switched back to using WindowsXP, but this time used NERO 8. My file burns flawlessly as before.

What can be wrong? Is it SP3 on the XP (it does slow dowm most programs), The Pioneer DVR-A108 which is getting old, The Vista Ultimate, or the Intel Dual-core. Fyi, I did use DVD shrink first to compress my files to a manageable size. Thanks. ORT

If you use ImgBurn on the Windows XP install, does it work correctly?

By the way SP3 doesn't slow anything down. In fact, if you multiboot XP SP2 and XP SP3 you can't tell one from the other without looking in system properties :)

I'm sure you've updated all your drivers for the new and old hardware when you added the new mobo right?

EDIT: to expand on mmalves comment....how about Nero on Vista? What is the model number of your gigabyte board?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.