Choosing root directory problem

Guest Zarhan

Ok, I have a problem in getting a correct directory structure to my DVD-R.

I have this on my HDD (as an example) - and of course each year has bunch of other subdirs as well:

E:\Photos\2006\christmas2006\(bunch of JPGs).

E:\Photos\2007\christmas2007\(bunch of JPGs)

On the DVD, I want to have following structure:

\2006\christmas2006\(bunch of JPGs)

\2007\christmas2007\(bunch of JPGs)

- since I already know it's a "photo archive DVD", no need to include one more additional level, right?

However, in options, if "Preserve full pathnames" is OFF:

I get

\christmas2006\(bunch of JPGs)

\christmas2007\(bunch of JPGs)

I want to have the root one level higher!

If "Preserve full pathnames" is ON - well, you guessed it, the "Photos" part is also included.

How do I choose the "Root" for the image/DVD?

Thanks!

Edited by Zarhan

Add just the E:\Photos folder (Preserve Full Pathnames should be unticked) and ImgBurn will ask you if that folder is the root of your disc, to which you should answer Yes :)

I probably should have mentioned that I of course have other years (starting from 2000, in fact). If I add my Photos folder, Imgburn helpfully tells me that the folder will take 31 gigs and requires a Blu-ray disc :). I don't want to burn *all* my photos, just (in this case) stuff from 2007 and 2006.

This does make me think of a workaround though - create a "photostemp" folder, drag'n'drop the stuff I want burnt there, burn, and move them all back afterwards - but hardly user-friendly. Any better suggestions?

Edited by Zarhan

In that case add just the folders 2006 and 2007 and they'll be in the root of the disc.

Argh :)

Fine, add a critical word:

I want to burn some stuff from 2006 and 2007.

Not all. Some.

Fine, complete example:

E:\Photos\2006\easter\(jpgs)

E:\Photos\2006\christmas\(jpgs)

E:\Photos\2007\easter\(jpgs)

E:\Photos\2007\christmas\(jpgs)

E:\Photos\2008\easter\(jpgs)

I want to burn the second and third folder, so that on disc they appear as

\2006\christmas

\2007\easter

I hope this finally makes it clear what I'm trying to achieve - which is archiving photos to DVDs in chronological order as close as max capacity of DVD as possible, but keeping one folder of photos together. So for optimum DVD usage, I obviously just might split a year in the middle. So imagine that in the previous example, I had saved all the stuff from 2005 and 2006 and the 4,7GB limit hits just nicely after easter 2007. So I want to have the rest of 2007 on another disc and continue on to 2008...

I hope this finally clears up the problem.

Edited by Zarhan

Build mode is designed to build from an existing folder structure (and burn the entire thing 'as is')... it's not flexible, I know that - but at the time it was 'by design' and so being user friendly doesn't come into it.

It sounds to me as if the only way around it is to drag+drop the various folders into temp folders that represent how you want them burnt.

Or of course do what I've said all along (in other threads of this nature) and stick to using a full blown tool like Nero.

Build mode is designed to build from an existing folder structure (and burn the entire thing 'as is')... it's not flexible, I know that - but at the time it was 'by design' and so being user friendly doesn't come into it.

Ok - that's all I wanted to really know.

I've been searching for a good, free tool to burn DVD's - I was pretty happy with Nero 6 that came with my old comp's CD-burner ages ago, but ever since then the bundled version has been Nero Express. When I'm running Linux on my other comp I'm also quite happy with k3b - but it's not ported to Windows just yet. CDBurnerXP for some reason didn't want to work with my Vista.

Next one in line for me, I guess, is http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/ - have to check that out. Thanks for the answers anyway.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.