Disc Won't Play on Standalone Player

JonKel

I tried to burn my very first DVD-R (it is a -R Taiyo Yuden single layer) with v2.4.2.0 of ImgBurn today. I followed all of the instructions in the "Burning DVD Video files directly to single layer media with ImgBurn" Guide to the letter. My VIDEO_TS folder contains the following files:

dvd folder (contains AUDIO_TS folder (empty), VIDEO_TS folder (8 files - total 3.57 GB), tcmplex_title0.txt

dvdauthor.txt (38.5 KB)

dvdauthor.xml (539 bytes)

dvdflick.log (3.07 KB)

ffmpeg_audio_title0_track0_source0.txt (167 KB)

ffmpeg_video_title0_source0.txt (0.99 MB)

My burner is an older MSI 4x and it is my D drive. I am not sure what I have missed but I do not recall seeing the Buffer & Device Buffer status bars turn green (I wasn't watching the entire operation). Could my burner not have initialised or finalised the disc or does ImgBurn do this?

Edited by JonKel

Have you used the "VIDEO_TS folder (8 files - total 3.57 GB)" as the source folder?

Go to DVD Flick's folder (usually C:\Program Files\DVD Flick) and see if you can find ImgBurn's log file. If you can find it, paste here the log from that burn.

My VIDEO_TS folder contains the following files:

dvd folder (contains AUDIO_TS folder (empty), VIDEO_TS folder (8 files - total 3.57 GB), tcmplex_title0.txt

dvdauthor.txt (38.5 KB)

dvdauthor.xml (539 bytes)

dvdflick.log (3.07 KB)

ffmpeg_audio_title0_track0_source0.txt (167 KB)

ffmpeg_video_title0_source0.txt (0.99 MB)

Presuming that the Title Set was created and the disc was burned correctly; IF as you say above that your VIDEO_TS folder contains inside it yet another VIDEO_TS folder (which actually has the DVD files), then it's a file structure issue. From the root (top level) of the disc the VIDEO_TS should contain only the DVD files and nothing else. I don't know your purpose of keeping all those other files, but they have nothing to do with the actual DVD playing.

IF you place the disc back into the PC's burner and look at the contents of the disc with Explorer, a typical DVD would only have an empty AUDIO_TS folder (for backward compatibility) and a VIDEO_TS folder (in this case containing your 8 files - total 3.57 GB) and nothing else. I would say that fixing the file structure would be one place to begin.

To fix the file structure you have to be careful which files/folders you pick when you are adding files/folders to ImgBurn as it doesn't really give you a good idea of the layout of the disc prior. What I would do is switch to "Image file output" instead of directly burning to the media. Create an image, mount it, and look see what's there. If I liked what I see (file structure wise), then I'd toggle the creation type back to "Device output" and burn away.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I started the project again from scratch today and remembered to tick "Burn project to disc" in Project settings in DVD Flick. Top Gear is now playing fine in my standalone player. Thanks to all for the assistance. B)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.