Imgburn does DVDs, not CDs (but it used to)

eddie_the_eagle

Hi All,

I've been through the search function and past files, and believe that I may have the answer to this problem, but am looking for confirmation if possible.

I'm teaching young adults and have to burn many CDs/DVDs for resources, but not exhorbitant amounts (Maybe about 150 CDs and 50 DVDs a year.)

Up until about 2 months ago, Imgburn used to burn both CDs and DVDs on this laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400) without an issue.

Now, it burns DVDs still, but CDs apparently burn successfully (see codebox below,) but will record as being zero bytes and hang the computer when inserted in the drive.

Is this a common problem, and is there a simple fix?

Cheers,

eddie

(Just to prove Murphy is alive and well, each one of the CDs/DVDs from the codebox below burnt and read well.)

I 20:37:30 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 20:37:30 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 20:37:30 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,480 KB - Available: 1,288,080 KB

I 20:37:30 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:37:30 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:37:30 Found 1 DVD

Where's a log of the failed burn?!

Hi Lightning,

I noticed you're the developer of the software. Thanks for a very useful program - I use it on other computers a lot, the problem that I have is specific to this laptop.

I'll keep trying to make a failed CD - I'm making perfectly good CDs when all I want it to do is make a coaster as it normally does.

It was a constant problem until I tried to make a failed CD to get a log - the log file/program said that all went well, even when the CD would not read. i sent out about 40 CDs with this problem. It tended to hang at the very end - synchronising the cache took a minute or two.

I thought that it might be that the laser was on the way out, as it burnt a CD well at 4x speed, but was failing at 15x speed, but, with Murphy's Law, it successfully burnt a CD at 24x speed yesterday. (Speed setting is on auto.) Perhaps the first CD burnt at 4x speed reset something in the drive?

I guess my real question is that is this a hardware or software issue? Or something that I've left out of the settings?

Image burn still burns DVDs successfully, just not CDs.

Any advice that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

eddie/Andrew

Here you go - here's a failed CD burn log below, burning an ISO file to disk. CD won't even open to verify. Just sits there in the optical drive and causes the drive to hunt.

The inbuilt windows CD burner does work still - it's a poor fallback, however.

I 06:03:19 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 06:03:19 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 06:03:19 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,480 KB - Available: 1,345,528 KB

I 06:03:19 Initialising SPTI...

I 06:03:19 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 06:03:20 Found 1 DVD

The built-in burner might be using the TAO write type.

Your best chance of success is to use Taiyo Yuden CD's. They're by far the best.

Thanks Lightning,

I use Sony/Verbatim media - these CDs are TDK.

I'll see if there's a local source.

I'm a trifle confused as to why it used to work well and then stopped - does the laser power diminish with time?

Cheers,

eddie

edit: As the laptop's bordering on two years old, it's out of warranty - probably going to replace the drive.

Is there a preferred 'write type' for imgburn? I take it that TAO might not be the optimal solution.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice and support.

eddie

Edited by eddie_the_eagle

Thanks once again, Lightning.

Much appreciated - I found the TAO/SAO+DAO setting in the Imgburn menu [tools|settings|Write tab for anyone else having a similar problem]

I'll give it a go next time I've got to burn some CDs (About 40 next week.) If not, then I'll revert to an external burner.

Cheers,

eddie

Edited by eddie_the_eagle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.