data burn question

darrkstarr

Hi,I'm a newbie here,and at the risk of sounding really stupid,what are the settings to burn data to disc? I have an ISO file,and some other apps I have been told to burn as data.Is that the same as writing the ISO to disc? Im confused whether I want to write an image file,create an image file from files/folder,or simply write files/folder to disc.I need a glossary!! :homestar:

Hi and welcome to the forum, darkstarr! :)

If you have an .iso file - then just right click on it and select 'Burn with ImgBurn'.

An .iso (image) file - is like a .zip file that contains one or several files/folders that will be automatically expanded when they are burned to the disc, so when you look at the burned disc (open it up) all the included files/folders in the .iso files are then extracted on the burned disc.

If you have some ordinary files that you want to burn to a disc, then you need to use the Build mode and add the files/folder you want to burn to the disc.

In the Guide section of the forum, there are guides that covers both ways.

The default settings should work without issues.

If you have an .iso file - then just right click on it and select 'Burn with ImgBurn'.

An .iso (image) file - is like a .zip file that contains one or several files/folders that will be automatically expanded when they are burned to the disc, so when you look at the burned disc (open it up) all the included files/folders in the .iso files are then extracted on the burned disc.

If you have some ordinary files that you want to burn to a disc, then you need to use the Build mode and add the files/folder you want to burn to the disc.

Thanks for helping to make it clearer...by ordinary files,do you mean program files,or apps?? I do or do not need to unzip before I burn? When I right click on the zip /rar file I get<burn w/image burn> but not when I click on the containing folder.Does this mean I need to build? Will I be able to extract a zipped file that has been burned? sorry to bother you,and thanks again :homestar:

If you get the 'Burn with ImgBurn' option in the context menu then that's an ISO image, not a ZIP/RAR file. That happens because WinRAR, by default, associates itself with the .iso file extension (you can disable this in WinRAR's settings).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.