Multisession DualLayer-DVD

PatJay

Hello!

I've been told that ImgBurn is very good at burning Dual-Layer DVDs. So I want it to give a try. I normally work with Nero 6.

I would like to burn a multisession data disc on a DVD+R DL. Is that possible with ImgBurn? Or should I stay with Nero 6?

I do not want to create an image file, I have a folder with about 6GB of data to burn. But it must be a multisession disc because I will add 1 to 2 GB of belonging files to the disc within the next months.

What about the layer break which sometimes seems to be a problem? And is it right to set the booktype to DVD-ROM?

Generally I am very satisfied with Nero 6 so I don't know if I really should use ImgBurn instead. But I've heard that Nero causes problems in creating a layer break.

Thank you.

Pat.

Edited by PatJay

ImgBurn doesn't support multisession in its Build mode at the moment.

Sorry, I don't understand your comment clearly. In the change log of Version 2.4.2.0 ther is something written about "Multisession":

"Fixed: When writing a multisession disc, the 'Writing Session X of X' and 'Writing Track X of X' log entries weren't always being written if the session/track was small."

I've never used ImgBurn, so sorry for this strange question:

Does your comment mean I will be not able to add folders or files, burn them as Multisession on a DL-Data Disc and later add files to this disc again with ImgBurn?

The layer break is only important when burning DVD Video - which it doesn't sound like you're doing anyway.

Well, I plan to burn DL DVD-Videos in future. I want to mention that I produce my DVD-Video files with DVDlab Pro and than I burn them with Nero. But this affects to Single Layer only, I've never burnt DL-Discs.

To be honest I still would work with Nero 6 to burn Dual Layer discs but there are rumors that Nero is not ideal for that task. So I got the hint to use ImgBurn instead. I don't know if the rumor is true. I am just a home user not a professional.

Thank You.

Pat.

The multisession log entry is referring to burning multisession images - i.e. where the image file clearly defines several sessions. You cannot add sessions to a disc at a later time, it's all done in a single burning session.

ImgBurn cannot be used (in Build mode) to keep adding to discs.

ImgBurn is more flexible with the DVD Video layer break in that you can position (and preview) it exactly where you want it - providing you've got 'Cells' defined in the right place within the IFO.

Nero will just split the data in half.

The multisession log entry is referring to burning multisession images - i.e. where the image file clearly defines several sessions. You cannot add sessions to a disc at a later time, it's all done in a single burning session.

ImgBurn cannot be used (in Build mode) to keep adding to discs.

Okay. So I have to use Nero 6 instead in this case.

ImgBurn is more flexible with the DVD Video layer break in that you can position (and preview) it exactly where you want it - providing you've got 'Cells' defined in the right place within the IFO.

Nero will just split the data in half.

Thx, it's interesting to learn.

May I ask you how to burn a DVD-Video DualLayer?

I install ImgBurn, leave the default settings, import the Video_TS folder and than simply burn it on a DVD-DL? That's all, right? Or do I have to adjust some parameters?

Thanks for your help!

Pat.

Correct, that's how you burn double layer DVD Video.

We also have several guides on the subject in the Guides forum.

Just remember that you want to be using DVD+R DL rather than DVD-R DL. DVD+R DL are much more flexible and allow you to position the layer break wherever you want on the disc (content and physical LB can be moved for nice alignment), on DVD-R DL it's in a fixed position and cannot be moved (content can be moved for nice alignment).

Correct, that's how you burn double layer DVD Video.

We also have several guides on the subject in the Guides forum.

Just remember that you want to be using DVD+R DL rather than DVD-R DL. DVD+R DL are much more flexible and allow you to position the layer break wherever you want on the disc (content and physical LB can be moved for nice alignment), on DVD-R DL it's in a fixed position and cannot be moved (content can be moved for nice alignment).

Okay, thank you very much. Luckily I plan to operate with DVD+R DL :-)

Referring to multisession DL-Data discs I've changed my point, just a very last question:

I intend to burn a single session DL now instead of multisession and than if I get new additional data I'll burn the final package as DL DVD Data disc again. So I will finally use two DualLayer discs instead of one.

Here is my question:

Do I have to pay attention concerning layer break when I want to burn a DualLayer Data-DVD with ImgBurn? Or do I simply threat it as a normal DVD? (Okay I'll will also set bootype to DVD-Rom - but anything else to care of?)

Thx.

Pat.

Hello and thank you very much for your patience! Finally everthing is said.

Nope, for data discs you can just pretend there's no such thing as layers or a 'layer break' on discs.

Why does this come so?

I'm just curious: Why is there a difference between a DualLayer DVD-Video and DualLayer data disc? Both have two layers and the laser has to switch from one to the second layer.

Can someone explain it in short and easy words?

Pat.

The layer break problem on DVD Video comes from the loss of streaming when switching layers.

If players don't know about the layer switch in advance (signalled via a flag in the IFO file) then they can get confused / hang when there's a loss of streaming data and timecodes get screwed up.

Back in PC land, nothing cares about a slight pause when reading a file from a data disc.

Hello!

The layer break problem on DVD Video comes from the loss of streaming when switching layers.

If players don't know about the layer switch in advance (signalled via a flag in the IFO file) then they can get confused / hang when there's a loss of streaming data and timecodes get screwed up.

Back in PC land, nothing cares about a slight pause when reading a file from a data disc.

Okay, thank you. I understand. I've no further question. I'm happy :thumbup:

BTW: I've discovered a possible reason why some burned DL disc may not run properly after a layer break (I'm sure you know about the fact).

My source is from an internet forum post:

When you create a DVD-Video with an authoring tool it might set a layer break into the ifo-file. When you then burn the Video-TS folder with Nero, Nero ignores the layer break and places a new one strictly on the half, it could happen that the disc than has two layer break commands. And then it's no big suprise if some DVD players are confused and do not continue playing the video properly.

I presume ImgBurn is able to detect an existing layer break and will not add a second one. Or it will delete the former and create a new one. Am I right?

PatJay.

The flag in the IFO isn't 100% the layer break flag, that's just what it's commonly known as.

The flag can be set for other reasons so you can't really assume a cell with it set to off is the LB cell.

The important thing is to make sure the physical layer break position is aligned nicely with the start of a cell (and vice versa) and that the cell has it's SPLIP ('Seamless Playback Linked in PCI' - the layer break one) flag turned off.

ImgBurn presents you with the available options as to which cells are available to be used as the layer break cell. So 'it' wouldn't be adding a second LB, you would be - if that's what you chose to do.

It's down to you to select the cell, be that the original one (if you know exactly where it was) or a new one. ImgBurn does then try to fixup the IFO's though - assuming you haven't told it not to of course!

Hello!

This will be my last question, I do not want to annoy you. Your last post does confuse me a little bit:

I use the "DVDlab pro" to create a Video-DVD. This software is also able to manually create a Layer Beak. (by writing it to the *.ifo file.)

Okay, as the build-in burning device of DVDlabpro does not work, I intend to burn the DVD with ImgBurn.

1) Will ImgBurn honor the Layer Break set by DVDlabpro?

2) Or is it better not to set any LB and let ImgBurn to do this work directly?

Thank You!

Pat.

It's probably best if you actually try burning some DL files so you can see what I mean.

There is no 'honouring' to be done.

You're presented with a list of cells that can be aligned with the physical layer break position on the media and I would expect the one from dvdlab pro to be amongst those.

It's down to you to pick the right one from the list.

It's probably best if you actually try burning some DL files so you can see what I mean.

Yes, you're certainly right. But DualLayer discs aren't still really chip.

There is no 'honouring' to be done.

You're presented with a list of cells that can be aligned with the physical layer break position on the media and I would expect the one from dvdlab pro to be amongst those.

It's down to you to pick the right one from the list.

Hmm, your message does scary me:

Let's pretend I've already set a Layer Break with my DVD Authoring Tool. Then I wanna burn this Video_TS folder with ImgBurn. There I select a different cell as that of the authoring software. So I'll have two LBs on the disc. But this could mean that the disc is not running properly on a DVD-Player.

So it is better to let Imgburn set a layerbreak exclusively, right?

Sorry for disturbing again! But please write some helping words.

Pat.

The LB you set in your authoring program will have SPLIP set to 'No' so it'll be pretty obvious which one it is.

If you don't select that one then ImgBurn will set the old one's flag back to 'yes' anyway.

I don't think having 2 cells where the SPLIP flag is set to false is a big issue anyway, it's more likely to be a problem when it's NOT set and the drive has to switch layers (i.e. a seamless layer break) but even then all the newer players seem to cope with that just fine (and superbit dvd's have been authored in this way since the format was first released).

The LB you set in your authoring program will have SPLIP set to 'No' so it'll be pretty obvious which one it is.

If you don't select that one then ImgBurn will set the old one's flag back to 'yes' anyway.

I don't think having 2 cells where the SPLIP flag is set to false is a big issue anyway, it's more likely to be a problem when it's NOT set and the drive has to switch layers (i.e. a seamless layer break) but even then all the newer players seem to cope with that just fine (and superbit dvd's have been authored in this way since the format was first released).

Thank you very much. Your posting helped now. Actuallyl I have no further questions. Now it's time for practice. :-)

Pat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.