SUDDENLY, my drive won't recognize discs anymore!

jcleav

i am ok with computers, but i am clueless when it comes to real technical problems like this...so i'm hoping that somebody can help me out!!

i have a gateway computer, and my dvd drive is model: ts-h552d (ga01)

i burned a couple dual layer dvd's, and everything worked fine, i got an error message on the third saying that something was unrecognized or something (i think due to a bad image file)...since then, the drive won't recognize anything.

i can still open and close the drive through the program (through the load/eject buttons) , but it says "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present - Tray Closed)"

to double check, i tried burning an audio cd through itunes and now it won't recognize that there's a cd in there either. i can't get any program to recognize any form of cd/dvd (blank or otherwise).

i tried downloading new firmware at http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Firmware/S...spx?DriveId=969 but it says that it's the incorrect firmware for my drive and won't do anything. even the drivers/firmware i used when i first got my computer won't install now (and it worked fine when i first got my computer).

could it be a virus??

what can i do?? any help would be GREATLY appreciated...thanks all!!

Hi and welcome to the forum, jcleav! :)

It looks as you have the latest firmware for that writer installed.

Can you look in this place to see if you can find that log in which you got that error message?

Main Menu -> Help -> ImgBurn Logs

how's this?

//****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 - Log

; Friday, 06 February 2009, 13:57:11

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 13:11:23 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 started!

I 13:11:23 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 13:11:23 Total Physical Memory: 915,944 KB - Available: 230,260 KB

I 13:11:23 Initialising SPTI...

I 13:11:23 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 13:11:28 Found 1 DVD

ever since then, i have been getting this same sequence:

I 16:44:56 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 started!

I 16:44:56 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 16:44:56 Total Physical Memory: 915,944 KB - Available: 405,696 KB

I 16:44:56 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:44:56 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:44:56 Found 1 DVD

and in case it helps, this is the log for the successful burn right before the first error:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 - Log

; Thursday, 05 February 2009, 13:39:15

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 12:53:54 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 started!

I 12:53:54 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 12:53:54 Total Physical Memory: 915,944 KB - Available: 194,248 KB

I 12:53:54 Initialising SPTI...

I 12:53:54 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 12:53:54 Found 1 DVD

You have an old version of the program.

To me it looks in the logs as your HD/Blu-ray reader is gone.

What happens if you insert an already burned disc in your writer - can you see/play that disc in Windows Explorer?

That you got the error with the RITEK-S04-66 media is more likely that your burner doesn't really like that brand. Older burners can have problems with those brands.

The last log shows that the burner do have issues writing to that media. I also think that if you had the Verify option enabled, you would got some errors in that phase.

If you insert one of your blanc discs - what does the status row in the lower left corner of the program say?

if i put an already burned disc in the drive, nothing happens. if i double click the drive in windows explorer with an already burned disc, it shows nothing...the window is blank.

if i put a blank disc in, the status row says: "Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present - Tray Closed)"

the thing is, i used the same discs on the same drive with the same version of imgburn and everything worked fine...it happened very suddenly. i even tried using other burning programs, and now they won't recognize anything in the drive either. like i said, i can't even burn an audio cd in iTunes now...it keeps saying "please insert a blank disc."

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.2.0.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: ElbyCDFL

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Product Name: Microsoft

no...everything was working fine until i got the random error message. i didn't change anything on the computer inbetween the successfull burn and the error message, that's what's confusing to me. i only tried reinstalling the firmware when i was having problems. is there any chance this is a virus?

Sounds more as your burner decided to die.

Reading others that have the same writer it sounds as a 'not very good writer' and it also seems that Gateway will not release any new firmwares so I do think the best solution is to get a new nice writer that will work better than your current ever would do. Especially since the brand of media you are using is best supported by newer released burners.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.