Pioneer 111D fails on burning DL discs

Voodoochopstick

Hi,

I have been having some trouble burning dl discs lately.

Everything worked fine some months ago.

Last week i tried to burn an image to a DL media but failed @ about 70%.

I first thought it might have been a bad DVD and therefore tried again.

This time I made it to about 85%.

I then asked a friend of mine to burn the image in question and everything went fine on the same media type (Memorex).

I also tried to burn another image on another media type (Platinum) and my burner failed again (@~50%).

I know that Memorex and Platinum might not be as good as Verbatim, but they always did the job for me till now.

Is it possible that my burner is just broken?

I 19:40:32 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 19:40:32 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 19:40:32 Total Physical Memory: 3.144.792 KB - Available: 2.630.412 KB

I 19:40:32 Initialising SPTI...

I 19:40:32 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 19:40:32 Found 1 DVD

I 19:42:38 Destination Device: [0:1:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D 1.06 (E:) (ATA)

I 19:42:38 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: CMC MAG-D04-00) (Speeds: 2,4x)

There's firmware 1.29 available for your burner. Remove any disc and close the tray before updating. Reboot after it has finished. The brand doesn't matter: it's the dye used to make the disc that's important, and the ones you have were made with just about the worst crap they could use.

I 19:42:38 Destination Device: [0:1:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D 1.06 (E:) (ATA)

I 19:42:38 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: CMC MAG-D04-00) (Speeds: 2,4x)

The brand doesn't matter: it's the dye used to make the disc that's important, and the ones you have were made with just about the worst crap they could use.

Oh, didnt know that its the dye that makes the difference.

Still, I never had problems with Memorex so far.

There's firmware 1.29 available for your burner. Remove any disc and close the tray before updating. Reboot after it has finished.

Thanks, i just applied the newest Firmware but that Platinum disc i used last time was my last DL disc.

I'll try to grab some this weekend and report back. :D

But what seems like a total mystery to me is, that I had absolutely no problems with burning DL discs at all (some months ago).

Then, for a while, I didnt burn any DL discs at all.

Now, a few months later, i get a 3/3 fail rate on different (okay, maybe crappy :'( ) media brands.

Since it will take some time till my Verbatim Discs arrive, I decided to pick up another Memorex DL from a friend of mine.

Now i get:

"Failed to set L0 Data Zone Capacity

Reason: Power Calibration Area Error"

right at the start.

Any suggestions?

Might the Verbatim discs solve the problem, or is my burner just totally done for?

I also noticed very loud roaring while burning normal dvds (which are burned without any problems btw).

Thanks in advance!

The error you get at the start is common when your burner doesn't like the brand you are trying to burn with.

The disc you could burn before (Memorex) did they have the same Disc ID: CMC MAG-D04-00? You can check by inserting an old disc and use the Read mode in ImgBurn and look at the right info panel. It should state the Disc ID of those discs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.