Multiple Conflicts with Burning...

Jon8c

Well, I ran into ImgBurn after "discovering" the annoyance that Nero refuses to remove its 16-character volume name limit. As a replacement software, ImgBurn was very pleasing with all its confusing but still helpful options, especially the little progress bar that actually tells you how many characters are left available for volume names of different file formats. I salute you! But, sadly, it all stopped there. When I finally tried to burn my first DVD using ImgBurn, everything appeared fine and dandy. But, when the disc was burned and verified, my DVD burner detected the DVD as a "blank" (well, that's how it appeared in My Computer as "CD Drive" instead of a volume name). Also, my computer would freeze for a few seconds before refreshing My Computer. Yet, if I put the same disc into my simple disc reader, everything is detected fine. My first question is... what happened? Oh, I forgot one more thing. Before switching to ImgBurn, I also needed to burn a similar 4.3 GB RAR file using the UDF format with the same disc from the same batch of DVDs (Go Verbatim MCCs!). I used Nero for that and everything was fine there. But, ImgBurn didn't burn the same result, as I have said. Attached is a LOG file containing ImgBurn's original log of the session. At the bottom of the log, I added the "Device" information shown in ImgBurn before the session and some extra information about the burned DVDs found through DVDInfoPro (Note: the very last DVDInfoPro entry is the information for a blank DVD). Well, there's the first problem.

The second problem has to do with CD-R. Again, before ImgBurn, all my other burning software burned CDs fine (can't say perfectly, since I'm more of a dunce in this stuff). But, this time, when I try to burn a CD in ImgBurn, it would proceed until it reaches the "Writing Lead-In" stage, when my computer would freeze, usually at about 6 seconds into the process. When my computer regains responsiveness, I would get a message saying there was an I/O device error. I would click "Retry" several times (the message would reappear) but to no avail. Finally, I would just accept defeat and choose "Cancel". (Then, ImgBurn surprised me by saying "Would you like me...", strange how you guys make this thing have a personality ._.) Thereafter, I decided to see if the problem was my burner by trying a different program, Alcohol 120%. I used UltraISO to create an ISO and used Alcohol 120% to burn it. Flawless. I then assumed ImgBurn had a problem with its "Build" function, so I used ImgBurn to burn the same ISO. Same I/O error. Again, attached is a LOG file containing the same information provided for my DVD issue, except there's no other burned CD for comparison. Woo, that's two.

Heh, sorry if this was much, but I kind of hated to let go of Nero until I found ImgBurn and I didn't really want to let go of it either. Anyhow, "burning" probably hates me, since for most of my years of computing, it would burn my mind instead of the discs... Thanks. Oh, "thanks" to you guys, too :P.

P.S. I've tried searching around Google, but I couldn't really find anything. Couldn't even find another person with the same model burner as I do. Oh yeah, I think the LOG files offer a good amount of information, but if you guys need more, just ask. I'll be lagging your servers by refreshing this page like 50 times per second...manually, until someone responds >:D (JK, DON'T BAN ME T.T). Thanks again.

DVD_R.log

CD_R.log

Edited by Jon8c

Hi and welcome to the forum, Jon8c! :)

You selected max write that for that combination of media/writer, which is 20x. But your actual speeds are very slow, even if the image is just 50% of the full discs capacity. So it should have been picking up speed more than what you have now.

I 23:06:25 Average Write Rate: 2,739 KB/s (2.0x) - Maximum Write Rate: 3,129 KB/s (2.3x)
I 23:16:19 Average Verify Rate: 3,433 KB/s (2.5x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 4,351 KB/s (3.1x)

I also think that your CD burning issue is related to the above.

It might be that the driver is stuck in PIO mode, instead of DMA mode.

Oh, thanks for the welcome :D. Well, I thought PIO/DMA only related to IDE optical drives? My LG GH20NS15 is a SATA drive. I remember reading somewhere about that DMA thing and the article mentioned 2.0x, which I was relieved to see when I first saw it, but then I nearly threw out my keyboard when I read IDE. And, about the slow speeds, I'm not sure it's entirely my drives' fault. I've had 3 DVD burners so far. I think I recall all 3 of them having slow speeds. The first was a NEC IDE and sadly that entire drive stopped functioning for some reason after not being used for anything in like 1-2 months. The next LITE-ON SATA blew out in like 1-3 months after trying to burn DVDs again. Now, that thing only burns CDs and won't even recognize DVDs. Then, comes this LG, and the problems come right back :o. Well, I guess not really, though. The main thing is that I'm wondering what's so different about ImgBurn? Nero and Alcohol 120% burn just fine, but I hate their interfaces, especially Nero. And, I guess I should mention that I've tried, by threat of my brother, the computer techie, to burn DVDs by setting the speed lower. Instead of leaving it at AUTO, which defaulted to MAX I guess in my case, I tried going down to 16x and 8x since my DVDs were only 16x not 20x. That really didn't work. I'm beginning to think something is lagging the connection between my HDD and optical drives, maybe the HDD itself or the motherboard?

The write speed that Nero reports as used for the burn is the same as you selected it to write it with. So you don't see the actual write speed as in the ImgBurn log.

As you have Nero - use the tool named Nero DiscSpeed to see what Nero can get your speed up to for that burner.

It can also be downloaded here:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/index.html

Yeah, I read that somewhere, too o.o Well, that test was used in ImgBurn, and ImgBurn reported 2.0x while burning. And, I knew it didn't work, since my burn time didn't diminish any. Still took around 20-30 minutes for a 2.0x burn. but, I'll try that DiscSpeed thingy.

Uh, well, I think I found something regarding my CD problem (not sure if related to the DVD one too). Whenever I try to burn a CD using ImgBurn, my computer would freeze for a few seconds like I mentioned before. But, each this time this happens, Windows also reports an error in the Event Viewer. This is what's stated:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: viasraid

Event Category: None

Event ID: 9

Date: 2/22/2009

Time: 5:31:59 PM

User: N/A

Computer: STUDENT-0031614

Description:

The device, \Device\Scsi\viasraid1, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 0010000f 006a0001 00000000 c0040009

0010: 50000101 00000000 00000f68 00000000

0020: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000002

0030: 00000000 00000007

I know the VIA RAID is something connected to my motherboard, so I'll go try updating some drivers. I'm going to avoid trying to flash my BIOS, though. Anyone else have any ideas?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.