Error Message

Demonic

Okay, I'm kinda new to everything, all I usually have to do is say write and file speed. I'm burning Wii games, so I set it to 4x so it burns okay. Now I can't seem to get it working. It starts up, buffers to 100%, then nothing. After ten minutes it'll write 320 sectors, then five minutes later it'll give me an error message. Here's the log:

I 16:31:19 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 16:31:19 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 16:31:19 Total Physical Memory: 2,086,592 KB - Available: 961,576 KB

I 16:31:20 Initialising ElbyCDIO...

I 16:31:20 ELBYCDIO.DLL - Elaborate Bytes CDRTools - ElbyCDIO DLL - Version 6.0.7.0

I 16:31:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:31:20 Found 1 DVD

I 16:31:53 Destination Device: [1:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A DS02 (F:) (ATA)

I 16:31:53 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

Try with better media, such as Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden blanks. Also check for a firmware update for your burner on your laptop manufacturer's website :thumbup:

I 16:31:53 Destination Device: [1:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A DS02 (F:) (ATA)

I 16:31:53 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x)

Try with better media, such as Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden blanks. Also check for a firmware update for your burner on your laptop manufacturer's website :thumbup:

I updated all the drivers (thanks, that might come in handy) but I only have Sony and Maxell. I get the same results for both of them, though sometimes it'll work, but only at 2x rate instead of 4. I tried again with the updated firmware and reboot, this time I got the same results, only it said

E 20:47:10 Failed to Write Sectors 320 - 351 - Reason: Program Memory Area Update Failure

A million thanks awarded to whoever can assist!

Demonic;

but I only have Sony and Maxell

It doesn't matter one bit what the name brand is that is on the disc, the part that matters is the disc MID or Media I D...Yours is located here:

Your disc is made using dye from CMC Magnetics, one of the absolute worst of the worst on the market. Get some Verbatim discs or put up with a failure rate that exceeds your farthest imagination.

@ Demonic:

Try burning this Discs using faster Speed (eg 8x, or mabe 6x if your Burner allows to burn at that Speed).

I often got similar Messages when burning at 4x or Slower Speeds.

Newer Burners sometimes got very bad Laser-calibration Data stored in Firmware for such slow Burning-Speeds on 16x Media.

Your disc is made using dye from CMC Magnetics, one of the absolute worst of the worst on the market. Get some Verbatim discs or put up with a failure rate that exceeds your farthest imagination.

That's exactly what I thought by myself Years ago (you'll also often read such Things about CMC Media at other Forums).

But my personal experience has totally changed that opinion.

EG, i've bought the same Discs as Demonic above (CMC MAG. AM3 / Platinum branded) in a normal 'offline' Shop here in Germany and the Burning Quality was good @16x, very good @12x and nearly excellent @8x using a BenQ-1650 (FW BCDC).

(12x Burns got PIE max. from 25 to 40 and PIF max. of 2 when Scanned at BenQ-1650 at 4x Speed (1ECC)).

But I've also bought CMC Discs at some online Stores (Plattinum & other Brand) that where really absolutely crap.

This crappy Discs always got PIE above 150 (up to more tan 1000) and sometimes PIF of 8 and up (1ECC), no matter what Speed I burned them (and 8x Speed was the slowest Speed that Discs could be burned at, at 4x I only got Messages like Demonic above).

So I might say that the Quality of CMC Media can/will vary from Batch to Batch and mabe also depends on where the Discs are Made (Some Disc Labels like Platinum sometimes don't have Manufacturer Country written on the Package, so I can't realy say where the best are coming from).

For now, if I buy CMC Discs, I always burn 2 or 3 of them and Scan them for PIE/PIF and if the Errors are too high, I'll just return these Discs to where they come from.

And if want/need cheap Discs, I'll buy INFOMEDIAR30 / INFOME-R30 (eg Silver-Circle) which are in my opinion much underestimated Media-Codes and sometimes gave me the same Burn-Quality as Verbatim Discs (sometimes better, depends on where the Verbs are made).

Also we shouldn't forget that some 'MCC...' Discs also are actually made by CMC (MIT) for Verbatim, they soemetimes also got better Quality than eg the Verbatim Discs made by MoserBaer (MII) .

EDIT:

@ Demonic:

I've just seen that you're using Firmware DS02 which seems to be a very old Firmware.

While Searching Google I've seen that there are actually newer Firmwares called DX04, DX06 and also DX14.

As these Firmwares got different naming, i think that they might be OEM Firmwares (or mabe your DS02 is a OEM Firmare), so I don't really know if they are compatible with your Drive (but I've read that some People have successfully flashed from DS06 to DX14).

Sometimes DVD-Drives can be cross-flashed with compatible OEM Firmware (or vice versa) without problems, but sometimes you need some Tricks (or Hacks) to Flash such Firmwares.

If you're interested to flash your Drive with a newer compatible Firmware, you might take a look into the NEC/Optiarc Section of the CDFreaks Forums (club.cdfreaks.com).

There you can get the above mentioned Firmware DX14 (posted 4 weeks ago) and there are also many People around that can Help you with Firmware Problems etc.

I don't know if it's OK to Link to the Page at CDFeaks that I mean, but if you search for "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A" on their Site, you'll find the related Thread in one of the first Search-Results (was the 1st result some minutes ago).

regards...

...JimKnopf

Edited by Jim Knopf

@ Demonic:

Try burning this Discs using faster Speed (eg 8x, or mabe 6x if your Burner allows to burn at that Speed).

I often got similar Messages when burning at 4x or Slower Speeds.

Newer Burners sometimes got very bad Laser-calibration Data stored in Firmware for such slow Burning-Speeds on 16x Media.

That's exactly what I thought by myself Years ago (you'll also often read such Things about CMC Media at other Forums).

But my personal experience has totally changed that opinion.

EG, i've bought the same Discs as Demonic above (CMC MAG. AM3 / Platinum branded) in a normal 'offline' Shop here in Germany and the Burning Quality was good @16x, very good @12x and nearly excellent @8x using a BenQ-1650 (FW BCDC).

(12x Burns got PIE max. from 25 to 40 and PIF max. of 2 when Scanned at BenQ-1650 at 4x Speed (1ECC)).

But I've also bought CMC Discs at some online Stores (Plattinum & other Brand) that where really absolutely crap.

This crappy Discs always got PIE above 150 (up to more tan 1000) and sometimes PIF of 8 and up (1ECC), no matter what Speed I burned them (and 8x Speed was the slowest Speed that Discs could be burned at, at 4x I only got Messages like Demonic above).

So I might say that the Quality of CMC Media can/will vary from Batch to Batch and mabe also depends on where the Discs are Made (Some Disc Labels like Platinum sometimes don't have Manufacturer Country written on the Package, so I can't realy say where the best are coming from).

For now, if I buy CMC Discs, I always burn 2 or 3 of them and Scan them for PIE/PIF and if the Errors are too high, I'll just return these Discs to where they come from.

And if want/need cheap Discs, I'll buy INFOMEDIAR30 / INFOME-R30 (eg Silver-Circle) which are in my opinion much underestimated Media-Codes and sometimes gave me the same Burn-Quality as Verbatim Discs (sometimes better, depends on where the Verbs are made).

Also we shouldn't forget that some 'MCC...' Discs also are actually made by CMC (MIT) for Verbatim, they soemetimes also got better Quality than eg the Verbatim Discs made by MoserBaer (MII) .

EDIT:

@ Demonic:

I've just seen that you're using Firmware DS02 which seems to be a very old Firmware.

While Searching Google I've seen that there are actually newer Firmwares called DX04, DX06 and also DX14.

As these Firmwares got different naming, i think that they might be OEM Firmwares (or mabe your DS02 is a OEM Firmare), so I don't really know if they are compatible with your Drive (but I've read that some People have successfully flashed from DS06 to DX14).

Sometimes DVD-Drives can be cross-flashed with compatible OEM Firmware (or vice versa) without problems, but sometimes you need some Tricks (or Hacks) to Flash such Firmwares.

If you're interested to flash your Drive with a newer compatible Firmware, you might take a look into the NEC/Optiarc Section of the CDFreaks Forums (club.cdfreaks.com).

There you can get the above mentioned Firmware DX14 (posted 4 weeks ago) and there are also many People around that can Help you with Firmware Problems etc.

I don't know if it's OK to Link to the Page at CDFeaks that I mean, but if you search for "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A" on their Site, you'll find the related Thread in one of the first Search-Results (was the 1st result some minutes ago).

regards...

...JimKnopf

Thank you to everyone who's tried to help me this far. All of this is pretty new to me since all I had to know to use Imgburn was how to click a few buttons. I want to try every option available before I buy any expensive high-quality DVDs. I'm stubborn because it worked 100% of the time for over a dozen times until now. Now it won't even start burning.

I followed JimKnopf's advice. I thought I was getting the same results, but this time it went on for over an hour before giving me a different error message. Here's the log.

I 18:50:54 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 18:50:54 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6001 : Service Pack 1)

I 18:50:54 Total Physical Memory: 2,086,592 KB - Available: 1,201,796 KB

I 18:50:55 Initialising ElbyCDIO...

I 18:50:55 ELBYCDIO.DLL - Elaborate Bytes CDRTools - ElbyCDIO DLL - Version 6.0.7.0

I 18:50:55 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:50:55 Found 1 DVD

I 18:51:18 Destination Device: [1:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A DX14 (F:) (ATA)

I 18:51:18 Destination Media Type: DVD-R

Oh boy, now it doesn't even recognize the media properly... why don't you buy a few Verbatim DVD+R blanks to give it a spin? You don't need to buy 100 just for testing, you know...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.