disc not empty dvd-r

listwa

I'm new to dvd burning but I'm on a steep learning curve, please forgive my lack of technical terms. I finally have the correct dvds, I'm working with dvd-r. I tried to burn an ISO file and then nothing could be read. I discovered I needed to format the dvd beforehand. I ran a test with a newly formatted dvd, dragged a photograph to it and then ran "make compatible". It's worked fine twice now.

So now, with a new dvd I come to burn the ISO file. I have formatted the disc as per instructions and now I have tried to write the dvd except now I'm told the disc is not empty. Aargh. It's all a little frustrating.

I'm really hoping you can help me out and that the following technical information makes sense to someone.

Thanks!

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N A105 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Free Sectors: 2,297,312

Free Space: 4,704,894,976 bytes

Free Time: 510:32:62 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: CMC MAG. AM3

Recording Management Area Information:

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: 0@P-!-00

Book Type: DVD-R

Part Version: 5

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 197,167

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Hi and welcome to the forum, listwa! :)

I don't understand why you are formatting a -R disc. Sure you haven't mixed it up with a -RW disc (disc that can be used thousands of times)?

Thanks for the welcome Cynthia :-)

I have tried not formatting and I am not able to burn anything using drag and drop. When I right click on the e drive and go to properties, I am given the option to check the DLA box. I have tried burning without checking this box and didn't get very far as it always for drag and drop burning. I have used Imgburn without DLA checked and couldn't complete the burn.

Is this starting to make sense?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.