Another Write Error

spearhead

I used to be a happy.. did'nt have any problems with any of my burners...cd's, dvd's and DL DVD's. No problem what so ever...

And then a couple of days ago.. Everything I tried to burn failed..due to Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (Ultra-DMA/32)

This lead to a scary amount of useless fail to burn DVD's and CD's.. Having some PC understanding I started googling the problem.

There I found different solutions to this problem. From PIO/ DMA problems to physicaly removing both my burners and reinstalling them.

Yet no luck what so ever. Frustration lead to desperate measures.. Un-installing burn software...

As you can understand my frustration.. I am desperately seeking advice for a solution.. PLEASE HELP ME!!

ImgBurn Log:

I 16:41:20 ImgBurn Version 2.4.3.0 started!

I 16:41:20 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 16:41:20 Total Physical Memory: 3

Try using a new 80-wire IDE cable: set the burner as Master and connect it to the end of the cable. Also follow the DMA post of the FAQ (removing IDE controllers and rebooting).

What controller is the drive on?

Do your drives share the same cable?

If they do, have you tried it with just 1 drive?

Have you tried a new cable? You want as short a cable as possible - and make sure it's a decent 80 wire one.

The cable is new and I am using 2 drives, the Master drive is at the end.

When I try to open Device Manager to check the controller type. the Pc freezes??

That I do,

Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro.

Controllers:

Intel ICH10 Family 2 Port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26

Intel ICH10 Family 4 Port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20

Primary IDE Channel

Primary IDE Channel

Primary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Does that help?

Ok so basically you've got your drives on a Marvell controller - and they are awful for optical drives.

I assume you've tried the latest marvell driver?

http://dlsvr.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/sata/M...060_XPVista.zip

Otherwise you have little choice but to get a PCI card for the drives (make sure it's got a Silicon Image 680 chipset) or buy some SATA ones.

Just like that :)... THANK YOU!!!

Is there anything I can do until I get hold of a PCI card. Any suggestions to which card?

In this wonderful world of computers the only certainty is that there are NO certainties!

I use to run my own computer business, selling & repairing computers etc. I recall a CD burner that for all intents and purposes was defective (unable t read CD's at all), I either had already ordered a replacement, or was about to. The client also wanted a fresh install of windows, but because the CD was "defective" the install was not going to be easy. But once I formatted the Hard drive , the CD magically came to life and worked fine for at least a year. It is sometimes impossible to determine whether the problem is software or hardware related.

GG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.