Why don't they make USB monitors?

dbminter

Topic Title says it all.  :)

Seems to me, they make USB mice and keyboards now, why not USB monitors?  The graphics card would be built into the monitor, so, there's no need to constantly update your card and open up the PC.  Just replace the monitor.  Plus, there's no more problem of future video monitor connection types becoming a problem.  Where a new kind of monitor type can't be used on your old computer, causing you to need to replace the PC.  USB won't be changing or going away for some time, so, it's just as simple as plugging in a USB cable to set up a new monitor.  Of course, that does mean changing the BIOS or whatever they're calling it now :wink: to support USB monitors on boot like they had to do with USB mice and keyboards.

Of course, the primary reason they'll never do USB monitors is :greedy:  Why do what I said above when I also said that a new monitor type means replacing an entire PC?  Planned obsolesense keeps steady income streams a flowing.  Forcing people to replace their PC's simply because they change monitors and don't make your old style anymore is simple "good business sense."  :rolleyes:

Actually, the watercooling isn't as invalid a point as I initially dismissed it as.  :wink:

So, PC's can still have traditional graphics cards inside them.  You'd still need to crack open the case and swap out a card if you wanted a new one, but my initial point can still be valid.  Make the connection cable from the monitor to the card a USB connection.  Change the graphics card so that the monitor input is a USB connection.  If they standardized monitor cables as USB, then when new monitor type technology came out and a new monitor is needed, you could change the graphics card, if needed/desired, and still use a standard USB connection to the monitor.

Again, though, it'll never happen because why should they do that when they can force you to buy a whole new PC just to support a new monitor standard?  It keeps a guaranteed steady income stream flowing.  :greedy:

Who needs a 52 inch monitor?!  :lol:

Again, I say use USB adapters.  They made an HDMI one for my old VGA/SVGA monitor when I got my last computer.  It enabled me to keep using my old monitor, which works fine for me.  Well, I'm guessing it's HDMI.  I'm not entirely sure what connection it is.  Anyway, I still say they can make USB standardized connections and then sell adapters to fit new technology.  But, they won't to keep, as I keep saying ;) to enable steady income streams.

• 10 months later...

Well, it seems that now the idea of USB monitors may be one step closer to actual reality!  :o

Seems that with the upcoming USB 3.1 standard, they're working in DisplayPort into the data channels for it.  In effect, USB connected monitors.  This would drastically reduce the proprietary format of monitors.  So, it most likely means this will never take off.  :angry:  :greedy: monitor manufacturers want the proprietary scheme forcing you to update your monitor every few years, like I had to recently.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.