Please help

hamsammich

I'm new to this whole process. Not knowing which discs to use, I bought several different ones to try. The first spindle was Maxell, and I had very little problems. The second was Sony, and I couldn't get half of the discs to burn. I've also got some Imation discs, and I'm still having the same problems. Here is a copy of my log. Is this a problem with the media, or is it something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I 23:55:13 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!

I 23:55:13 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 23:55:13 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:55:13 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:55:13 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!

W 23:55:23 Device Arrival Detected!

I 23:55:23 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:55:24 Found 1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW and 1 DVD?RW!

I 23:56:46 Operation Started!

I 23:56:46 Building Image Tree...

I 23:56:46 Checking Directory Depth...

I 23:56:46 Calculating Totals...

I 23:56:46 Preparing Image...

I 23:56:46 Checking Path Length...

I 23:56:46 Image Size: 4,681,465,856 bytes

I 23:56:46 Image Sectors: 2,285,872

I 23:56:46 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:00

I 23:56:55 Operation Started!

I 23:56:55 Building Image Tree...

I 23:56:55 Checking Directory Depth...

I 23:56:55 Calculating Totals...

I 23:56:55 Preparing Image...

I 23:56:55 Checking Path Length...

I 23:56:55 Image Size: 4,681,465,856 bytes

I 23:56:55 Image Sectors: 2,285,872

I 23:56:58 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:03

I 23:56:58 Operation Started!

I 23:56:58 Source File: -==/\/[bUILD IMAGE]\/\==-

I 23:56:58 Source File Sectors: 2,285,872 (MODE1/2048)

I 23:56:58 Source File Size: 4,681,465,856 bytes

I 23:56:58 Source File Volume Identifier: Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

I 23:56:58 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.1.0.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!

I 23:56:58 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn

I 23:56:58 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 23:56:58 Destination Device: [0:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D 1.23 (F:) (USB)

I 23:56:58 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: OPTODISCR016) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

I 23:56:58 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888

I 23:56:58 Write Mode: DVD

I 23:56:58 Write Type: DAO

I 23:56:58 Write Speed: MAX

I 23:56:58 Link Size: Auto

I 23:56:58 Test Mode: No

I 23:56:58 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 23:56:58 Filling Buffer...

I 23:56:59 Writing LeadIn...

I 23:59:01 Writing Image...

W 23:59:03 Failed to Write Sectors 800 - 831 - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:03 Retrying (1 of 20)...

W 23:59:05 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:05 Retrying (2 of 20)...

W 23:59:07 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:07 Retrying (3 of 20)...

W 23:59:09 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:09 Retrying (4 of 20)...

W 23:59:11 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:11 Retrying (5 of 20)...

W 23:59:13 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:13 Retrying (6 of 20)...

W 23:59:16 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:16 Retrying (7 of 20)...

W 23:59:18 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:18 Retrying (8 of 20)...

W 23:59:20 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:20 Retrying (9 of 20)...

W 23:59:22 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:22 Retrying (10 of 20)...

W 23:59:24 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:24 Retrying (11 of 20)...

W 23:59:26 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:26 Retrying (12 of 20)...

W 23:59:28 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:28 Retrying (13 of 20)...

W 23:59:30 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:30 Retrying (14 of 20)...

W 23:59:32 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:32 Retrying (15 of 20)...

W 23:59:34 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:34 Retrying (16 of 20)...

W 23:59:36 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:36 Retrying (17 of 20)...

W 23:59:38 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:38 Retrying (18 of 20)...

W 23:59:40 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:40 Retrying (19 of 20)...

W 23:59:42 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:42 Retrying (20 of 20)...

W 23:59:44 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:47 Retrying (21)...

W 23:59:49 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 23:59:53 Retrying (22)...

W 23:59:55 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

W 00:00:04 Retrying (23)...

W 00:00:06 Retry Failed - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

E 00:00:07 Failed to Write Sectors 800 - 831 - Logical Unit Communication Time-Out

I 00:00:07 Synchronising Cache...

E 00:00:08 Failed to Write Image!

E 00:00:08 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:03:09

I 00:00:08 Average Write Rate: 24 KB/s (0.0x) - Maximum Write Rate: 24 KB/s (0.0x)

I 00:03:55 Close Request Acknowledged

I 00:03:55 Closing Down...

I 00:03:55 Shutting down SPTI...

I 00:03:55 ImgBurn closed!

Welcome to ImgBurn Forum!

There's lots wrong here.

Your firmware is outa date - update it to 1.29 here.

But that is not gunna cure all. The media you are using is not considered real good. We recommend Verbatim (MCC dye, preferably Made In Singapore) or (genuine) Taiyo Yudens.

And even they are not gunna cure all if you try to burn at MAX speed on a USB drive. Slow it down - way down - 2.4X or even 1x

Regards

I really can not read logs that well myself, wait til someone else can do this for you better.

My advice would be for you to check your firmware, I had problems early on with firmware, I thought it was the discs, however since upgrading the firmware I have not made a single coaster and am now using up the last of my imation discs and they are successful burns. I will not buy them again but I did install Vista on an imation and I just read the Vista website and they recommend burning at 2x, and I burned at 12x and had no troubles with my install.

From the Vista download page

2.) Using a DVD burner and software, burn the ISO image of Windows Vista RC1 to a new blank DVD. We recommend burning at the lowest speed supported by your DVD burner (1X or 2X) to ensure the highest quality. Most DVD-burning software will recognize an ISO file. If your software does not automatically recognize this format, refer to the software's Help file for instructions.

I've tried to update my firmware but it's not working. If it will get to the internal flashing stage, it won't work and ask me if I want to retry. I click 'Retry' but the program closes.

And anymore it won't even acknowledge that the DVDRW drive is there.

What can I do, besides smashing the burner?

It's an external drive, I can't get it into the PC.

Now it's at least running, but it's telling me it's not working because it's occuring an error.

I don't get this. It was burning perfectly fine for days, and all the sudden it's stopped working. I've got more of the same discs that worked the first time, and they're not doing any good anymore (Maxell DVD-R 8x).

Maybe if I took the burner back and exchanged it would I have better luck?

the PIO 111 is a good burner the reason we say use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden is quality control they make great discs ,the cheaper ones you can burn 50 out of a hundred perfect then the next 50 nothing but problems its the consistancy of the Verbs and TY's that make them a cut above .For your F/W right click on the burner in IMGburn and look at the last line Firmware update ,you have to close out all other programs to flash the FW, download it save it to a folder then close everything IMGburn included and then open the folder and try again.

Why cant you put it into your computer is it a laptop if it isn't then theres no reason you cant install it in your box flash it and then put it back in the external enclosure

I figured out that I was trying to install the internal firmware instead of the external firmware. Still doesn't work, however. It keeps telling me target unavailable.

In a bit I'm going to get some Verbatim disks to try. I've never even heard of the other reccommended brand nor have any idea as to where to get them.

I probably should have asked before, but what does firmware do, exactly? Why do I need it?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Firmware is firmware. External and internal drives are identical. They just have a different way of communicating with the rest of your system.

Verbatims are brilliant. No bad burns, errors etc. They are very good media (except for the -R/DL media). They can be a bit dodgy.

Firmware is the internal software of your drive. Without it, your drive is a doorstop. It is what controls your drive. Things like supported media speeds for your blank DVDs are directly controlled by your firmware. Updating your firmware will often fix bugs in the drive or add new features to it.

EDIT: The other media you were asking about (Taiyo Yuden) are the best of the best. If you can find them, grab them.

Thank you.

So when I get the Verbatims I should go with +R and not -R?

I'll also have to look for the Taiyo Yuden discs while I'm out today.

And if none of those discs work, I'm going to take back the writer and exchange it. If it's not the discs, and the drive won't let me update the firmware, I think it would be pretty safe to assume it's probably the drive.

Finally the firmware updated to 1.29.

I've even got some Verbatim DVD+R with disc id MCC-004-00.

It's still not burning properly. I've tried changing the burning speed, I've tried other medias, and it's still not burning.

Imgburn will begin to write the leadin, and twice it's gone as far as writing image, but it never gets past 0%.

Is there anything else I can do before I take the burner back?

Finally the firmware updated to 1.29.

I've even got some Verbatim DVD+R with disc id MCC-004-00.

It's still not burning properly. I've tried changing the burning speed, I've tried other medias, and it's still not burning.

Imgburn will begin to write the leadin, and twice it's gone as far as writing image, but it never gets past 0%.

Is there anything else I can do before I take the burner back?

I say take the drive back, it should not be this amount of aggravation. I had problems before with a few coasters, once I updated the firmware, I have not made a coaster since. I can even write at max speed on the cheap discs I had left, still have about six to get rid of.

Since you did manage to get your firmware updated, I would take the drive back.

JMO

I just got back from exchanging the drive at Best Buy. I've burned five discs so far, three Verbatim, two Imation, and all five have worked fine. I've set the burn speed to 8x, too.

I haven't updated the firmware, but if I stick with the Verbatim MCC discs once my Imations run out, will I even need to since I know it will read them?

And this may sound stupid, but for the first few days I had my drive I burned a lot, probably upwards of 10 discs a day. Was it possible that I broke the drive by using it too much?

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the help. I'm definetly sticking around this forum.

I just got back from exchanging the drive at Best Buy. I've burned five discs so far, three Verbatim, two Imation, and all five have worked fine. I've set the burn speed to 8x, too.

I haven't updated the firmware, but if I stick with the Verbatim MCC discs once my Imations run out, will I even need to since I know it will read them?

And this may sound stupid, but for the first few days I had my drive I burned a lot, probably upwards of 10 discs a day. Was it possible that I broke the drive by using it too much?

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the help. I'm definetly sticking around this forum.

I wouldn't say you wrecked the drive you just got one that was no good it happens

you should update your firmware as new ones become available they are instructions for the drive and also what media it supports IF you stick to the same media and it works fine then probably not

what dye does the imation use you can find out by putting one in the burner and then looking at the Manufacturer ID looks like this

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: RITEKG05

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-R

Part Version: 5

Disc Size: 120mm

10 disks a day? I think we can safely say you're not overworking your drive. ;) Lightning gave us a task a few weeks ago to burn some re-writable media using a batchfile. Simply put, what we did was put a disk into the drive, pick an ISO and add it to a batchfile via the command line. What it then did was burn the ISO then spit the disk out and burn it again and spit the disk out and burn it again and spit the disk out and burn (get the picture)? :) I left it running overnight and after some ridiculous amount of burns (dozens and dozens of them) I stopped mine running. My drive is still fine. :)

Lightning gave us a task a few weeks ago to burn some re-writable media using a batchfile. Simply put, what we did was put a disk into the drive, pick an ISO and add it to a batchfile via the command line. What it then did was burn the ISO then spit the disk out and burn it again and spit the disk out and burn it again and spit the disk out and burn (get the picture)? :) I left it running overnight and after some ridiculous amount of burns (dozens and dozens of them) I stopped mine running. My drive is still fine. :)

If you left it running overnight, who takes discs in and out of the drive for the burns from the batch file?

That is one hell of a command if it can chage discs! :D

I may have to add a batch file to wash the dishes and do other chores!

Sadly, as prices of drives have come down to meet mass market demand, the quality of them has, too. More and more, I am seeing reports of crappy drives. It's a vexing problem.

Regards

Sadly, as prices of drives have come down to meet mass market demand, the quality of them has, too. More and more, I am seeing reports of crappy drives. It's a vexing problem.

Regards

Hey, I'm just happy it's still working right now. I've burned about a dozen discs tonight alone. The good Verbatims and the crappy Imations are all working great.

I guess my worst fear out of all this was that I might have screwed up this computer, which is roughly two weeks out of the box, by screwing something up in one of my burns.

In case you can't tell, I get paranoid about things I don't totally understand, computers and DVD writers included.

But you guys are still awesome for helping.

Hey, I'm just happy it's still working right now. I've burned about a dozen discs tonight alone. The good Verbatims and the crappy Imations are all working great.

There's mixed reviews regarding Imation media. Some good. Some bad. Stick with the Verbs if you can.

I guess my worst fear out of all this was that I might have screwed up this computer, which is roughly two weeks out of the box, by screwing something up in one of my burns.
Even if you did kill your drive what's the worst that it can be to replace? 30 or 40 dollars? It's not worth losing sleep over. :)
In case you can't tell, I get paranoid about things I don't totally understand, computers and DVD writers included.

But you guys are still awesome for helping.

All bullshit aside and regardless of what "the experts" say, computers are pretty robust. Unless a heatsink falls off your cpu (which doesn't matter on the newer Pentium 4s anyway as it detects the temperature change and automatically lowers the voltage which stops it from frying), or your PSU sets fire to the crud collected by your case fans because you don't clean them out - you'll be fine. (I once threw an Amiga 500 into my neighbours' swimming pool and left it there for a few days because ...... well....... it was pissing me off. After drying it out and replacing the floppy drive it was fine). Under normal conditions you can't hurt them. You might kill the operating system and have to re-install it but something serious has to go wrong (like a power surge or failed case fan) before you damage the PCs components or the PC itself.

EDIT: You can never have too many case fans.

<Obi-Wan Kenobi mode off>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.