In case of case sensitivity

Ken852

As I recently started working with DVD Decrypter for my DVD video discs I discovered that it uses capital letters for file name extensions, like in the example below.

The New World.ISO
The New World.MDS

I was wondering if I may change this afterwards without breaking the file name reference? I don't know about other programs, but ImgBurn seems to accept it regardless.

I like my extensions all in lower case, so ".iso" rather than ".ISO" and so on.

Looking at the MDS file in a hex editor I can see a reference to the original ISO file at the end:

The New World.ISO

I have manually edited this to say:

The New World.iso

Do I have to repeat this for all such files? Will these files otherwise fail to load in other programs that use MDS files?

Looking at the files I created previously using ImgBurn, I can see that asterisk is used in place of the file name prefix ("The New World") and the suffix or file name extension ("iso") is in lower case.

For example, here are my files from the first disc of Ask Video tutorial series on Cubase SX.

Ask Video Cubase SX3 Level 1 Tutorial.iso
Ask Video Cubase SX3 Level 1 Tutorial.mds

The MDS file contains:

*.iso

Rather than:

Ask Video Cubase SX3 Level 1 Tutorial.iso

I take it this part is not important then?

I would say the MDS doesn't care about extension case.  If you want to see, create a disc image and then rename the .ISO to .iso.  Then, load the MDS in ImgBurn for writing and try to burn the MDS to a rewritable disc so you don't waste a disc.  If after you rename the extension to lower case and ImgBurn still burns the MDS file fine, then you can pretty much guarantee the case for the extension doesn't matter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.