IMGBurn doesn't load

douglaslort

I burned a DVD, close the program. Then, when I tried to open again, nothing hapenned!!!

I have cleaned the registry entries, reinstalled the program, tested the drivers, scan for viruses....I didn't install any other programs.

I don't know what to do: the program was working OK, but suddenly it stopped to work. IMGburn simply don't open/load. Double click in the .exe, the hourglass for appears foa a short time and nothing happen.

I ask for your help.

PS: sorry for the bad english, I'm brazilian

Edited by douglaslort

mmalves gave me a portable version of the program and it worked fine :).

Why did it happen?? Do you think I have a problem with the registry entries??

I'm using ccleaner. Is there a better program to clean the registry entries??

And about anti-virus? Is nod32 better than avira antivir??

I'm not so sure that it's antivirus... they normally pop up an error if they detect an issue - and of course they delete the file / stick it in quarantine rather than stopping it running.

Really you need to find out which bit of software is actually causing the issue (look in the logs) - then we can talk to whoever makes it and get them to fix the problem.

Being portable doesn't have anything to do with it. The exe is either compressed (by UPX) or it's not.

*something* on your machine is preventing the UPX compressed one from loading - it's down to you to figure out what it is so that we can try and get the company responsible to fix their product.

What I would do is make sure that Iam not connected to the net

then remove all my antivirus stuff and Ccleaner, the see what happens

if all is OK start putting the progs back one at a time until you find the

one causing the problem.

Edited by Steve100

Yes, I have tried all the steps above. Imgburn was running fine until a week ago, and then all of a sudden it wouldn't load. I reinstalled it several times, and I even tried installing an earlier version in case the problem was with the latest upgrade. I have scanned for viruses several times, all to no avail. If it is any help, I am having the same problem with DVD Decrypter. If Imgburn will function in safe mode, I will boot into safe mode to do my burning.

As an aside, what does Ccleaner have to do with the problem?

Can you provide MD5 hashes of the original ImgBurn.exe and the UPX-decompressed ImgBurn.exe (both from v2.4.4.0)? Use HashTab or something like that to get the MD5 hashes.

Yes, I have tried all the steps above. Imgburn was running fine until a week ago, and then all of a sudden it wouldn't load. I reinstalled it several times, and I even tried installing an earlier version in case the problem was with the latest upgrade. I have scanned for viruses several times, all to no avail. If it is any help, I am having the same problem with DVD Decrypter. If Imgburn will function in safe mode, I will boot into safe mode to do my burning.

As an aside, what does Ccleaner have to do with the problem?

OK, If you have tried all I suggest, the a deeper look is needed

Ccleaner nothing really it is just to make sure that you have a

fairly standard OS without any add on,s.

If the uncompressed one works, PLEASE help to find out which bit of software on your system is causing this issue.

If you don't want to help by uninstalling potential problem makers, at least give me a list of everything in your 'add / remove programs' list so I can install all the apps in a VMWare session and do it myself. It's the only way this will every actually get fixed for everyone. The uncompressed exe is just a workaround and far from being an ideal solution.

The uncompressed one did not work either. When I try to run it, I get a Security Warning box saying that the file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher. When I allow it to run, it starts and then stops. I tried running both ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter in safe mode(Windows XP), but neither will run in safe mode.

I thought I had found the culprit yesterday when I noticed that MsMpEng.exe(Windows Defender) would grab a big chunk of CPU power every time I tried to start Imgburn(I was using Process Explorer to monitor the programs running). I disabled Windows Defender, but Imgburn would still start and then stop. I have disabled my virus protection(Bitdefender) and internet protection(Zonealarm) and tried to run Imgburn, with no success.

I will try uninstalling every program that I have installed or upgraded since Imgburn and DVD Decrypter stopped loading to see if I can get them to work - this may take a while. I hope it was not a Windows XP or Internet Explorer update that caused the problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.