Burned DVD does not work

ArchE

Hi, I'm new here...

I downloaded ImgBurn recently because I wanted to get rid of Nero (= tons of useless Gigabytes wasted) and yesterday I tried to burn my first DVD. I had an ISO file which holded a dvd movie (the one with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders); so I inserted a blank disk (Sony DVD-R 16x) and the windows "Autoplay" came up. I selected "Burn an Image using ImgBurn", loaded the file and clicked on"Burn". The whole burning process was ok, no warnings or errors were displayed, and in the end "burning succesfully completed" was displayed (well, I guess it was, I selected the italian language first so I'm translating my steps in what I think they should be like in your language). Then I closed the software.

But the disk is no more readable... Windows tells me it needs formatting (?) and it refuses to load in any dvd player. I thought my drive or the file itself could have been broken, but burning again the SAME file on a SAME disk (not the one before!) with the SAME drive, using another software (NTI CD & DVD Maker 7) made a fully working DVD, even on the dvd player.

So... What could be the problem?

I know that's not such a detailed description of the problem, I missed the program's log but I didn't know I had a problem before using the burned DVD again to check it, and by that time the log was gone... What did I do wrong?

I didn't burn any other disk yet, to avoid wasting other money helplessly...

Sorry if I made any grammar mistake, if anybody needs some other info to help me, ask away. Please...

Thanks for the tip, but this is getting worse... Under the Help menu there is "ImgBurn Logs..." which redirect me to an empty folder, and "ImgBurn Statistics" which pops up a box saying:

Since ImgBurn was first installed, you've burnt 0 discs!

WHAT? :/

...Tomorrow morning I'll burn another different disc and I'll let you know if it works. This time I'll be more careful, even though I'm still pretty much clueless about what could have happened :wacko:

#0- make sure your DVD drive firmaware is up to date --> firmwarehq.com

#1- make sure you use the latest ImgBurn version --> 2.4.4.0

#2- use an empty DVD-R media

#3- right-click on your ISO file and select "burn using imgburn"

#4- once imgburn shows up, select 12x as writing speed

#5- Burn!!!

Edited by eSkRo

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your patience and sorry to keep you waiting this long, I had a busy week and had not time to work with my laptop... Anyway, Problem solved! :)

I said I previously used Nero and I was used to check the "Test mode" because it was automatically done before the actual writing and after the disk check. But that's not the case with ImgBurn, becuase this program does not write anything on the disk after the Test mode (as I read today, after checking almost the whole manual :rolleyes: )

So I un-checked "Test Mode", wrote the disk and verify it. IT WORKS! IT WORKS! :D

I still don't know why Vista kept telling me to format the empty disk... Maybe it was broken, after all (or it was just telling me it couldn't open an empty disk, I don't know...)

Thank you again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.