Imgburn will not run at all

Rob S

I've got a Compaq laptop which runs a wide variety of software without a hitch, Iso buster, Cdburner Xp etc... I have Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2 Installed. I've started with a clean boot and then attempted to install Imgburn without a single error. When I try to run Imgburn, it simply will not start. It ends with the "Imgburn - The ultimate image burner! Has Stopped Working". And I can get no further.

I'm looking for a good solid answer to this one, I've tried everything I know to do and it will not start and run. Thanks in advance for help!

Does the main window appear? If it does, what does it say in the status bar? Does the Log window appear? What does it say? If we pinpoint where the freeze is happening we can find out what's causing it :)

i've read something that LUK! said not too long ago...

he suggested to unpack --> ImgBurn.exe --> using UPX

cuz maybe your anti-virus program doesnt like EXE files packed using UPX

and blocks it as if it was some kind of virus...

worth a try dude!

UPX link --> http://upx.sourceforge.net/#download

UPX command --> upx -d ImgBurn.exe

Edited by eSkRo

Does the main window appear? If it does, what does it say in the status bar? Does the Log window appear? What does it say? If we pinpoint where the freeze is happening we can find out what's causing it :)

The main window does not appear. No log window. All I get is an hour glass cursor and then the failure message that it has stopped working. Interestingly enough, it will run in safe mode. So obviously something I've got running is causing a conflict.

i've read something that LUK! said not too long ago...

he suggested to unpack --> ImgBurn.exe --> using UPX

cuz maybe your anti-virus program doesnt like EXE files packed using UPX

and blocks it as if it was some kind of virus...

worth a try dude!

UPX link --> http://upx.sourceforge.net/#download

UPX command --> upx -d ImgBurn.exe

I tried unpacking with upx but that gives an error that it's not packed with upx. But, hey, as you said, worth a shot.

Did you try unpacking ImgBurn.exe (not ImgBurnPreview.exe) in C:\Program Files\ImgBurn (or the folder where you installed ImgBurn)? I'm asking because SetupImgBurn_2.4.4.0.exe (the installer) isn't packed with UPX.

Did you try unpacking ImgBurn.exe (not ImgBurnPreview.exe) in C:\Program Files\ImgBurn (or the folder where you installed ImgBurn)? I'm asking because SetupImgBurn_2.4.4.0.exe (the installer) isn't packed with UPX.

ok, good plan, I unpacked the exucutable with upx, it runs now, but I do get the "Imgburn Stopped working" when I exit the program, more of a nuisance than anything. Haven't even tried burning or creating anything, but at least it runs now. Thanks for the help! if you've got a solution to the crash on exit, I'd love to hear it. Again, Thank you!

That's the thing: you should not need to decompress with UPX in the first place. Windows by itself has no problems with UPX, but many antivirus/antispyware/antimalware/firewall solutions don't like UPX and mistake it for a harmful program. The fact that you could run ImgBurn in safe mode further supports this, since safe mode only loads the barely minimum to run Windows.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.