method of operation

davexnet

Hello,

I have a standalone dvd player that plays divx/xvid. I noticed a trend, and that was,

divx/xvid written to dvd+rw as data was very problematic, difficult to read reliably,

and sometimes the player wouldn't recognize the files or disk at all.

(but they were OK to read on the computer)

However, regular mpeg-2, DVD's written on the same media played back just fine.

What's going on?

Then I noticed something. Writing these divx/xvid disk with Nero, which I had been doing,

behaved differently compared to Imgburn.

With Nero, it just did a quick erase and then wrote the files, but when repeating the operation

in Imgburn, it said the disk needed to be formatted, did a quick erase followed by

a full erase (or format?) - then wrote the data avi files.

After this, those disks played back perfectly in my standalone player.

Does Imgburn know something Nero doesn't know?

Only DVD+RW seems to need this "format". DVD-RW works fine after a quick erase.

Yes, only DVD+RW needs formatting, and you only need to do it once: after this you can just overwrite the disc. What happens is that Ner0 messes up the disc and it loses its formatted state, and then you need to format again.

Are you running the latest version of ImgBurn? Which filesystem(s) are you using? Have you considered that your DVD player just don't like the media you're using?

Yes, only DVD+RW needs formatting, and you only need to do it once: after this you can just overwrite the disc. What happens is that Ner0 messes up the disc and it loses its formatted state, and then you need to format again.

Are you running the latest version of ImgBurn? Which filesystem(s) are you using? Have you considered that your DVD player just don't like the media you're using?

Thanks for the info.

Using the latest version of Imgburn. One of the reasons I still keep Nero Burning Rom version 6 around is that you can create

folders and rename files right in the project window. But thanks for the heads up - never going to use DVD+RW with NERO again!

I don't think it's a media compatibility problem. The reason I say this is that proper DVD (video_ts, etc) burned to the same media

play back just fine on the standalone. It was only avi's written as data that exhibited the poor performance and caused me to look

further at the writing operation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.