How 2 know manufacturer of disks?

GranPaSmurf

First, my experience. I had failures trying to burn a Win7 RC download to a bootable disk. I don't burn many disks, so all the terms are somewhat new to me. I assumed I was doing something wrong. I finally read the "fine print" in ImageBurn & found I was using CMC MAG-M01-00 media. What the forum posts call "Absolute crappy material." With one of the last disks on the spindle, burning at the absolute slowest speed possible, I finally got a good, bootable disk.

Next, my question. I was using Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-R disks. Really cool front side looks like a movie reel. No-where on the label am I warned the real manufacturer might be the "Absolute crappy material" folks. So, is there a matrix somewhere that tells me which over-the-counter brand might be manufactured by Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim discs, known to be more reliable? Or is the Verbatim brand now Verbatim made, not being bought from CMC MAG-M01-00 media? How can I know which to buy while I am in the store? :unsure:

By the way, thanks for the good forum posts & the good product. I would be willing to pay for it, (but maybe not the $100 or so the big names want.)

If you get Verbatim disc they'll either use MCC or TY (Taiyo Yuden) dye.

Taiyo Yuden discs always use their own dye.

All the other brands pretty much use whatever they fancy that day/week of manufacturiing.

Your best bet is to get the discs from an online store - they normally specify the dye used on the discs they have in stock at that time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.