DVD playback (not really an ImgBurn problem)

rscottdrysdale

I've got two machines with DVD burners. One at my desk with a TSST SH-S223F, one in my stereo rack with a Lite-On DH-20A3H. Both machines are P4 with 1G RAM and WinXP (desk machine XP pro, stereo machine XP home). Both have VLC 1.0.1 installed. I updated both drives' firmware a few months ago.

I've never had trouble playing DVDs in either machine until now. I happened to try Mars Attacks. It works fine in VLC on the machine with the TSST drive, but on the machine with the Lite-On drive, I get music but just a grey screen where the menu should be.

I quickly popped 10 or so other DVDs into the machine exhibiting the problem, and all brought their menus up properly.

I even tried a (gasp) copy of the Mars Attacks DVD, with the same results - plays fine in the machine with the TSST drive, grey screen with music on the machine with the Lite-On drive.

Just tried it on my Ubuntu machine with 0.9.9 (or so) VLC, and Mars Attacks works there. I have no clue how to ask Ubuntu what model drive (DVD-ROM, not a burner) is on that machine.

any ideas? and yes, i also posted this on the VLC forum :)

Try using Media Player Classic Homecinema (it has internal filters for DVD decoding).

i found the problem, and it's NOT the drive.

the machine i'm having trouble with has two displays (built-in intel chipset (main) and ATI radeon (tv output)). if i start playback on the main screen and drag the window to the tv screen, i get grey menus. if i start playback on the tv screen, it's ok. so apparently VLC has trouble rethinking things when you move the playback window.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.