Format DVD+RW every time before burning

highwaykind

I just switched from CD Burner XP to ImgBurn. Really like that the burning speed has greatly improved (4x really is 4x and not 35 minutes), but that is countered by ImgBurn prompting me to fully format a disk every time I want to burn something (most often DivX files to a rewritable dvd).

The brand of the DVD+RW does not seem to matter (Memorex, Philips, Mediarange), and these disks are not blank disks either (have been used with Nero and CD Burner Xp numerous times), and I have already fully formatted every disk at least once with ImgBurn.

Quick erase isn't even an option...

(Also - is there some setting that lets the program live update the space on the disk, or do I have to press calculate every time after I add a file?)

Drive is LG GH22NS40 on WinVista.

Edited by highwaykind

You should need to format the DVD+RW discs only once, and after that you can just overwrite them. ImgBurn looks for the 'Formatted: Yes' status and this is reported by the burner: if you use that disc with other burning software (which might not care about the formatted status) then the disc may lose it's formatted status.

As for updating the used space, you can enable Auto (Calculate) option and it'll re-calculate everytime a file/folder is added.

You should need to format the DVD+RW discs only once, and after that you can just overwrite them. ImgBurn looks for the 'Formatted: Yes' status and this is reported by the burner: if you use that disc with other burning software (which might not care about the formatted status) then the disc may lose it's formatted status.

As for updating the used space, you can enable Auto (Calculate) option and it'll re-calculate everytime a file/folder is added.

Well, in my case the "Formatted: Yes" thing doesn't seem to be working then. (I'm not using any other burning software).

Thanks!

Advanced build mode has one that autoupdates and doesn't depend on the 'Calculate' feature.

Calculate is 100% accurate and way OTT for rough disc usage checking.

In Advanced Build mode there doesn't seem to be a "burn to disk" button..

I also came across InfraRecorder... That's free as well and it seems like that might be easier for me to use / better suited for my needs (I rarely work with img files..)

Interface is more like what I'm used to, it lets me quick format disks, and there's a free-space progress bar at the bottom.

So, looks like I'm switching when it comes to burning disks, if I ever need to build an image file I know where to go :)

Thanks for the quick replies!

It's the same interface as standard build mode - i.e. you hit the same 'Write' button!

The only difference is how you add the files ('Input Mode').

ImgBurn can quick format discs too (or not care if they're not properly formatted) but I prefer to default the program to do it properly. As mmalves said, once they've been done they've been done. You'll only have to full format again if some other program mucks it up - and that's not my problem, it's theirs!

It's the same interface as standard build mode - i.e. you hit the same 'Write' button!

The only difference is how you add the files ('Input Mode').

Much less of a hassle (no need to switch modes/everything on 1 window) in different software...

(and switching saves time on figuring out the formatting problem as well)

If I'm not the only one with this formatting-every-time issue I'm happy to help you figure it out, otherwise I'll assume it's a fluke. Nice program, but maybe not for me :)

Edited by highwaykind

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.