ADSL2/2+

Shamus_McFartfinger

Australia is finally catching up with the rest of the world with the progressive rollout of ADSL2 in selected areas. Is anybody using this? Apart from having to buy yet another modem (to go with the 20 or so of the fcuking things I already have in the shed), can anyone tell me what protocol they use to connect to their ISP?

Warning: Headache inducing content follows.

For example, my ISP currently forces me to use ?1483 bridged mode? which creates alot of headaches if you (me) has hardware that doesn?t support it, like my SMC router. That means I have to set up my modem/router (Netgear DG834) as just a modem because it supports 1483 bridged mode which means it can connect and my router (SMC 2804WBR) then sends my login details via PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) through the modem to my ISP. There?s a reason I kept the SMC on my network but I can?t remember why. It?s a complete clusterfuck.

So.... can anyone tell me what protocol they use to connect to their ISP on ADSL2/2+

??

EDIT: I just remembered why I kept the SMC router on my network. It was because the Netgear modem/router doesn?t support 1483 bridged mode when it?s set up as a modem/router. It DOES support it if it?s just used as a modem. Go figure.

Shamus, The ADSL over here as well as the DSL all use PPOE protocol. I wouldn't be surprised if thats what will be used for you guys. Fast speeds, connectsd at 15MBPS. Fast downloads................ :D

Shame you have all that messing around where you are shamus. Here in the uk things just tend to work right out of the box!

ADSL2 is supported by current hardware, it just might be that the router needs a firmware update. I know for sure that's the case with netgear ones.

Shamus, The ADSL over here as well as the DSL all use PPOE protocol. I wouldn't be surprised if thats what will be used for you guys. Fast speeds, connectsd at 15MBPS. Fast downloads................ :D

I really hope so. It would be nice just to plug something in and have it work. My local exchange goes online in June this year and I?m really looking forward to the speed (around 50x faster than I have now. 3MB/sec (not 3Mb/sec) for an extra $10 a month. WooHoo!! :cheerleader:

Shame you have all that messing around where you are shamus. Here in the uk things just tend to work right out of the box!

I wish it was the same here. The problem is my ISP using a really weird protcol. Still, it?d be nice if they finally get their act together. The router my ISP supplied (it was free with the installation and is still around here somewhere) that supported their protocols was crap because it doesn?t stealth the ports. I?m rambling again...........

ADSL2 is supported by current hardware, it just might be that the router needs a firmware update. I know for sure that's the case with netgear ones.

That?s a good point. I hadn?t even thought of that. I?ll have a look when I get home from work tonight. Thanks. :beer:

I really hope so. It would be nice just to plug something in and have it work. My local exchange goes online in June this year and I?m really looking forward to the speed (around 50x faster than I have now. 3MB/sec (not 3Mb/sec) for an extra $10 a month. WooHoo!! :cheerleader:

It'll depend on line conditions and distance from the exchange as to what speeds you get.

Some users will be no better off than with ADSL on the other hand if you're right on top of the exchange you might get the full 24Mb/s.

ADSL2+ is currently being trialled here in the UK although a few ISPs have installed their own equipment at exchanges and are offering limited coverage.

Check out this link for some techie info (connection speed forecasts etc) for the UK implementation of ADSL2+ compared to Max ADSL.

http://www.farina1.com/bookmark/000004/200...27/00020260.HTM

Nemesis

Yep. Attenuation is the key factor. It?d be nice if I could pick an exchange and type in my phone number and have the distance given displayed for me. Still, I know there?s 2 exchanges within 2.5km from where I?m sitting. If I can get 12,000mbps out of it I?d be happy. The 512/256kbps connection I have ATM is starting to get frustrating. Thanks for the link. :)

Yep. Attenuation is the key factor. It?d be nice if I could pick an exchange and type in my phone number and have the distance given displayed for me. Still, I know there?s 2 exchanges within 2.5km from where I?m sitting. If I can get 12,000mbps out of it I?d be happy. The 512/256kbps connection I have ATM is starting to get frustrating. Thanks for the link. :)

No worries! :)

Nemesis

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.