Old media?

chewy

Sounds like Taiyo's Value Line. It's all their seconds that they sell cheap, but only in N.A. Taiyo only rates them at 4X, even though they may be TYG01, TYG02, or TYG03 depending on the lot. Some less scrupulous retailers don't mention that their not Taiyos guaranteed best, but as a rule they are very decent as the scan shows.

try and burn 4x media at 8x and get consistent pif totals

less than 50

the word value applies but not seconds

bulk pack is the operative term and quality is not what it used to be

stuff was probably made way over a year ago

Edited by chewy

Don't misinterpret my post as being negative, I've had great luck with TYG01's, and wish they were still easily available. Apparently TY themselves call these Value Line, as does my online shop.

He's lucky if he can still get G01's, most Value Line stuff is now G03's, can even get printable's. As "regular" TYG02's are only $5 per 50 more where I shop, I stick to those now. Have bot several spindles in the past though, and only had 2 failures. You could see a speck on the dye, causing the problem. Once TYG03's started showing up in the Value Line, and I started to read about more of the "speck" discs showing up more frquently, I stopped buying them.

Apparently you can tell the difference, but it's not easy. Sometimes the number stamped into the plastic (at the hub) is double stamped, but not always. Supposedly the numbers themselves will tell you, but I'm not privy to such info.

my last batch(200) of value line TYG02 GG000077(no dbl stmp)

came wrapped in a new plastic, and top white generic cover

they are definitely lower quality out of newer production runs,

still very good media but usually 200-300 and up PIF total

Did some digging, and apparently all new Value Line will be TYG03's, printables and non. I'm wondering if it's time to start stocking up on "Premium Line" TYG02's (ie if they've stopped production and moved on to strictly 16X media now). I would hazard a guess that there's millions of them in wharehouses though.

Apparently you can tell the difference, but it's not easy. Sometimes the number stamped into the plastic (at the hub) is double stamped, but not always. Supposedly the numbers themselves will tell you, but I'm not privy to such info.

One of my main online vendors has a TY "store" (it's supermediastore.com) and they have a big warning posted on every TY page about how to spot genuine TYs. Apparently, phonying up CMC, Prodisc and worse (if that's possible) and passing them as TY's is quite the business.

That's one of the big reasons I quit buying all but Verbatim 95058 & 95053 (-R & +R respectively) in stores. Even Fuji which could once be counted upon to sell TYs has switched to different brands. You really can't trust anyone.

Same with some discs Plextor foisted upon me; in the box for my Px-716A was a coupon for 50 CDRs for $5, Prodiscs of course!) :/

And Memorex, jesus. Been burned by them. In late 2003 when I got my first burner (I really appreciate you guys working out so many bugs for me with burning and the thing unmentionable; it was a great help, :thumbup: ). I first bought Memorex DVDs basing the decision how good the cassette tapes used to be. And for a while they were using Ricohs. Now, of course, they don't. Sad to see such a great name placed over such trash.

Even with Verbatim CDs you must be careful. I bought a 50 pack (it was one of those promotions where ya got 100 MP3s from emusic.com) of Verbatim CDRs. Turned out to be CMCs! Needless to say I only use them for things that aren't in any way important (copies of my daughter's CDs, quick burns for my wife to take to work, or if I come up with a "songlist" I want to hear; I know, use CDRWs, but what else am I gonna use CMCs for? Plus it was $9.99.

Before you say caveat emptor, BestBuy also sells the above-mentioned Verbatim DVDs for $7.99/25 periodically. naturally, I grab a hundred everytime they run that sale.

Edited by Pain_Man

try and burn 4x media at 8x and get consistent pif totals

less than 50

the word value applies but not seconds

bulk pack is the operative term and quality is not what it used to be

stuff was probably made way over a year ago

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me.

--Woody Allen :unsure:

Seconds does not necessarily mean shoddy just as "first quality goods" doesn't guarantee excellent workmanship. A second can be, in every way that matters, the same as a "firsts."

When I first started selling carpet--long story but a guy has to eat >_< --the place had a big sign inside that said, "ALWAYS FIRST QUALITY GOODS!" Which puzzled me because they sold a lot of crappy floorcovering. "First Quality" just means the product met, exactly, the manufacturer's specifications.

Don't know about Canadian law, but in the US, it would be a crime to sell seconds as firsts. (But then again who defines first? Second?)

The reasons for putting something on the "seconds" pile can be ridiculously minor. A second could be that the cover wasn't the precise color required (not the recordable side). Or that they left this ATIP data off. There are myriad reasons. To take an example from another industry, carpet that was supposed to be one size is cut to another. That would make it second but it is in no way inferior to the batch that was cut to the right size and shipped to stores.

After all, a Suzuki Swift :thumbdown: (also sold as the Geo Metro in the US once upon a time) bought off the lot is "first quality goods". But a used Nissan would almost certainly be a far better vehicle (I had my Nissan truck for 10 yrs before I sold it, and only replaced ONE clutch during over 100,000+ miles including 4 cross country runs--3K miles one way).

Edited by Pain_Man

Construction of New Factory Wing in That?s Fukushima Co., Ltd. to Increase Monthly Production
Capacity of DVD-R & DVD+R Media Taiyo Yuden is building a new factory wing at That?s Fukushima
Co., Ltd., a subsidiary involved in the production of recordable media (due to commence operations
in October 2004). With the new wing, we will double the monthly production capacity of DVD-R and DVD+R media to 40 million disks by the end of this term. We will also improve the productivity of CD-R and increase monthly production to 70 million disks, partly by replacing the existing equipment with state-of-the-art models. Taiyo Yuden?s optical media are de facto standards and second to none in terms of quality, and we will provide customers with them based on greater supply capabilities.

value packaging and marketing maybe but I have as yet to see any quality difference

...Taiyo Yuden?s optical media are de facto standards and second to none in terms of quality, and we will provide customers with them based on greater supply capabilities.[/code]

value packaging and marketing maybe but I have as yet to see any quality difference

I read on one of the sites someone has linked to in their signature that said that JVC used to produce the best. (The operative term being used to.) I do remember seeing some JVC 8cm discs for camcorders but that's about it. And I think I saw a picture on a website of some DDCDRs made by them.

If they were better than Taiyo, I wonder why they aren't still making them?

This is quite true. Mercedes and BMV may enjoy the cachet of their names but they are miserable to own. You're looking at $200US/month on maintenance on average (a lot of people pay more, especially more expensive the model).

But this has always been true of German technology. Their engineers can be quite clever, brilliant even :D (the "misting" carbeurator invented by a Daimler distributor; the V-1, V-2 rockets--the basis of all ballistic and space missiles built by everyone since; nerve gas; modern pharmaceuticals (which their government destroyed by price controls)--but in quality control German products often suck.

An interview with a German tanker about his WWII experiences: "Our tanks may have had better armor and better guns [than the Allies'] but what did it matter when they broke down every 100km? The American and British tanks could go forever." julli-wallbash.gif

Exactamundo!

Using a modern example: instead of throttle cable, the Mercedes has a mechanical assembly with EIGHTEEN separate MECHANICAL parts intead of a...steel cable! :blink:

Which do you think breaks down more often?

Edited by Pain_Man

Even there, the value line discs I've got in the past were packed almost exactly the same as the regulars, tape wrapped 100 disc's. The round white paper insert is supposedly different, ie doesn't say TY anywhere, also supposedly says 4X(TYG03's may be diff. as they don't burn well under 8X with some older burners), but I didn't keep any to verify. Like you say, I personally have had no probs., others have, but who knows, that may be once again a soft tissue problem.

Pulled my 3520 out, last 3 firmwares I tried made a great burner mediocre. If it had faster DL burning I'd probably have spent more time going back to older firmware .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.