A great story...of how Americans will tolerate only so much....

Pain_Man

I've never found it that hard to believe it was how the German people reacted, actually. While it doesn't condone what they agreed to, of course, it makes sense they'd back anyone who offered them any kind of hope. Regardless of what it was. When there's no food on the table and someone says they will put it there, you don't really care what they'll do as long as food arrives.

It is continually asked: "How could the people who produced Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schiller, Heine, Goethe, Leibniz, Lessing, Kant, Schumann, Schubert have perpetrated the Shoah (Holocaust)?"

There's a simple answer: World War I.

It exposed 13.5 million German men to the largest occurence of industrialized killing in history (industrialized killing was, unsurprisingly, invented by the French with their Guillotine, tho' Dr. Guillotin thought he was doing the condemned a favor, instead he invented the first Assembly Line of Death).

Which is why I've always found the most effective moment in Cabaret to be the part where "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" is sung. When one knows the history behind the events being depicted in the background, it is frightening, yet entirely, unfortunately, understandable, how even just a small gathering like that outdoor beer festival rallies (most) of the people around that Hitler Youth's performance.

I never seen all of Cabaret. Not exactly a big Liza fan.

There's some archival footage of Hitler, sometime before the war. He's moving through this town, in a motorcade, standing up, doing the ripped-off Roman salute (imagine how horrified Cato, Caesar, Augustus, Trajan, et al would be if they could have seen that!).

There's this woman, probably early 20s, in the crowd. She got the most insane look on her face. She's literally intoxicated with Hitler. As though he were a drug and she'd OD'd.

Those eyes, I've never forgotten them.

The closest you'll get is the look in the eyes of the Islamofascist choadswallowers.

But it gave me a taste of the fanaticism that inspired the German people to follow that Austrian pig-humping asshole to start another goddamned war that kills two and half times as many people as did the first one. (20M* vs. 50M)

*(half the deaths were military KIA; most of the civilian deaths in WWI, in fact the overwhelming perfcentage was caused by deprivation, malnutrition, etc.)

Which is why I've always found the most effective moment in Cabaret to be the part where "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" is sung. When one knows the history behind the events being depicted in the background, it is frightening, yet entirely, unfortunately, understandable, how even just a small gathering like that outdoor beer festival rallies (most) of the people around that Hitler Youth's performance.

IMO, she gets too much credit for this movie. :) Michael York and Joel Grey are the ones who make the film. Interestingly enough, Tomorrow Belongs To Me is only about 45 seconds in the original play book. It got extended into a longer song and sequence in the film version. (Strangely, when this film was translated into French, the song is sung in German, instead! :huh: )

IMO, she gets too much credit for this movie. :) Michael York and Joel Grey are the ones who make the film. Interestingly enough, Tomorrow Belongs To Me is only about 45 seconds in the original play book. It got extended into a longer song and sequence in the film version. (Strangely, when this film was translated into French, the song is sung in German, instead! :huh: )

How'd you come to watch a French dubbed version of an American film?? :huh:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.