Windows 7 verification hangs

kyleaia

Good afternoon.

I'm having an issue with an HP Pavilion quad-core system running Windows 7 Home Premium. Whenever I attempt to burn an .iso using Imgburn on this system, it hangs during the verification. The most recent episode stopped @ 7% verification complete and just sat there for 10 minutes with no progress.

When I attempted to abort, Imgburn acknowledged the abort request, but hung the system to the point where I had to perform a hard reboot.

In the hopes that someone can assist, I've attached both the log file and the graph file.

Media: Verbatim DVD-R (works fine in an LG lightscribe burner on another system)

Recording speed: 8x (this because I thought perhaps the Max or AWS settings were causing the problem).

Burner: hp DVD A DH16AAL (is this a rebranded LiteOn that might benefit from better/newer firmware?)

There were no errors or warnings presented while burning was going on. The tray was cycled and then verification began.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ImgBurn.log

hp_DVD_A_DH16AAL_LHD7_FRIDAY-JANUARY-29-2010_11-47_AM_MCC_03RG20_8x.ibg

When you can't abort etc it's because ImgBurn isn't in control.

It submits an I/O command to the drive and has to wait until it gets a response - be it good or bad.

So if it's not getting a reply then it's probably due to drivers or just bad comms in general with the burner (bad cable perhaps).

Do you have any filter drivers installed? They'd be listed in the filter driver tool that you can find under the 'Tools' menu.

Look for motherboard bios updates and new chipset drivers etc.

I see the following:

Upper Device Filter: None

Upper Class Filter: GEARspiWDM

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: PxHlpa64

Lower Device Filter: None

If I remove these (as I've seen suggested elsewhere), will that "break" other software packages? I do have PowerISO installed and there is a CyberLink package installed that was part of the system as purchased.

It submits an I/O command to the drive and has to wait until it gets a response - be it good or bad.

So if it's not getting a reply then it's probably due to drivers or just bad comms in general with the burner (bad cable perhaps).

Do you have any filter drivers installed? They'd be listed in the filter driver tool that you can find under the 'Tools' menu.

I uninstalled iTunes and that removed the GEARAspiWDM Upper Class Filter. I'm using the verify mode of ImgBurn now to see if that resolved the problem.

I see the following:

If I remove these (as I've seen suggested elsewhere), will that "break" other software packages? I do have PowerISO installed and there is a CyberLink package installed that was part of the system as purchased.

The Lower Class Filter was still in place and the verification hung again. I'm seeing references on the net that the PxHlpa64 file may be part of a DRM or malware package. I'm hesitant to remove it with just the ImgBurn tool. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the assistance thus far.

I uninstalled iTunes and that removed the GEARAspiWDM Upper Class Filter. I'm using the verify mode of ImgBurn now to see if that resolved the problem.

I see the following:

The only other burning apps installed are:

PowerISO (installed by me)

CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe (came with the system)

Beyond these, I don't know of anything else. I'll try uninstalling PowerISO and see if that resolves the issue. Otherwise it's one of the CyberLink packages I suppose.

I removed PowerISO and all of the Cyberlink software (I don't use the latter anyway). However, the filter remained after a reboot. Using ImgBurn's filter tool I attempted to remove the filter, but that didn't work - the filter remains.

I'm completely lost at this point...

Before clicking Post I decided to take one more look and came across this link:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-setup-install/1072453.htm

which in turn leads one here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

I basically gave up and opened up RegEdit to remove the offending filter there. Closed up regedit and now ImgBurn appears to be working just fine.

That resolves the issue, but I'm still left with a bunch of SonicSolutions cruft on my drive and have no idea where it came from or with which application it's associated.

Regardless, hopefully this will help others.

Thanks.

The only other burning apps installed are:

PowerISO (installed by me)

CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe (came with the system)

Beyond these, I don't know of anything else. I'll try uninstalling PowerISO and see if that resolves the issue. Otherwise it's one of the CyberLink packages I suppose.

What do you mean it didn't work?

You couldn't remove it from the list?

What exactly happened when you clicked 'Remove Selected Filter' ?!

You might find that Cyberlink used the Roxio engine (almost nobody writes their own!). Uninstalling that app wouldn't remove the filter driver because it could be used by any number of other applications. Maybe you can google 'uninstall px engine' for more info?

I tried removing with the Remove Filter button, the dialog went away and the filter was still in the list. Restarting ImgBurn had no effect. After removing it manually in the registry, it disappeared from the list.

However, when I wrote the last post, ImgBurn appeared to be verifying the disk without issue. Now it stops @ 82% complete and hangs. And the system itself still hangs after aborting ImgBurn's verification process. A hard reboot is necessary to recover the system.

There are now no filters listed in the ImgBurn filters tool, so I'm really confused as to what's going on.

I tried removing Windows Movie Maker as I never use it and it was mentioned in a post somewhere that sometimes causes issues. But no change in behaviour.

For what it's worth, a Windows 7 Ultimate installation does not have a Sonic Shared directory in the Common Files area of either Program Files or Program Files (x86). It's something to do with Sonic's software, but I'm just lost as to what or how that might have been installed.

What do you mean it didn't work?

You couldn't remove it from the list?

What exactly happened when you clicked 'Remove Selected Filter' ?!

You might find that Cyberlink used the Roxio engine (almost nobody writes their own!). Uninstalling that app wouldn't remove the filter driver because it could be used by any number of other applications. Maybe you can google 'uninstall px engine' for more info?

Clicking 'Remove Selected Filter' doesn't close the dialog window so there's something not right there.

As mentioned in my first post, all that's left now is to mess around with bios, drivers and cables.

I wasn't able to find any firmware updates for your drive.

The more that I work on this issue the more I think it's HP-specific. The OEM OS image that is loaded on this system doesn't seem stable in some ways and I believe that they've installed something based on the Sonic software that's causing this issue.

At the moment, I'm uninstalling the HP MediaSmart components to see if that alleviates the problem. I haven't used them much thus far so I won't miss them.

I'll keep you posted as to progress.

FWIW at this point, there are no filters listed in ImgBurn whatsoever, which is a good thing. Is an uninstall/re-install of ImgBurn advised as well?

Is an uninstall/re-install of ImgBurn advised as well?

Wouldn't make a difference since ImgBurn doesn't install anything on your system: it just extracts the ImgBurn executable files in its folder under Program Files ("Program Files (x86)" if you're using a x64 OS).

Have you looked for the latest drivers for your motherboard's chipset and/or storage controllers as advised above? Use SIW to identify them. That would help with the system stability issue as well.

I've checked and re-checked with SIW and HP's site and all of the drivers are at their latest versions. The last verify still hung overnight - sat @ 85% for more than 8 hours.

I'm going to try and uninstall the DVD drive from the device manager and then let Windows re-install it on reboot to see what effect (if any) that has.

That last unfortunately had no effect from the perspective of ImgBurn; verification hung again @ 72%. The system was then locked after I attempted to cancel the verification process. As a last test, I tried PowerISO and it was able to successfully erase a DVD-RW, burn the .iso and verify the written image.

I'm still convinced that there is a conflict somewhere between some remnant of the Sonic software and ImgBurn; a conflict that does not appear to affect PowerISO. I am willing to continue troubleshooting to find the root cause and help both myself and others - I've been using ImgBurn for quite some time on XP Pro and find it to be a very useful application.

Please advise.

I've checked and re-checked with SIW and HP's site and all of the drivers are at their latest versions. The last verify still hung overnight - sat @ 85% for more than 8 hours.

I'm going to try and uninstall the DVD drive from the device manager and then let Windows re-install it on reboot to see what effect (if any) that has.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.