Silicon Graphics files for bankruptcy

dbminter

Ah, how times change. Remember when Silicon Graphics wowed the world with dinosaurs in Jurassic Park? Well, now they're the dinosaurs. Yes, they've filed for bankruptcy protection. "This is a Unix system. I know this!" Must be why they went under? :lol:

Ah, how times change. Remember when Silicon Graphics wowed the world with dinosaurs in Jurassic Park? Well, now they're the dinosaurs. Yes, they've filed for bankruptcy protection. "This is a Unix system. I know this!" Must be why they went under? :lol:

No more Irix?! Not really necessary since the SFX for Titanic was done with Linux. 16 PCs connected, running Linux created a kind of supercomputer. Don't ask the details I just remember the article. There was some buzz--I was working for a computer manufacturer who made supercomputers themselves--about using PCs to create "poor man's" supers. The Titanic was used as an example proving it could be done.

You're blaming Ariana Richardson for SGI filing for bankruptcy? (Or was it Richards?) I first saw that at Purdue. They'd set up some screenings as fundraisers. My ex somehow got free tickets to a fundraiser (I know, sounds odd, she probably fucked somebody for them).

When they showed that scene where the girl says that line, the audience, 99% college kids, broke out in hilarity. Christ, it wasn't that funny. Apparently the idea that a 12 yr old would know UNIX was thought to be absurd.

No link? I'm surprised. Now I have to actually look for myself! (!) (!) (!) (!)

Edited by Pain_Man

No, blame the bloody writer for such a line. :D It's like a similar one from Surface, where the fancy doctor character says, of an image sequence of DNA she's looking at: "This is mammal DNA!" HOW does she know it by looking at it?! It could be frog DNA or anything just from its looks.

I always wondered how she knew it was a UNIX system by looking at a GUI. It looked more like your typical CG computer screen to me. :lol: You know the kind, where people type in specific, near full sentence commands such as "Shut the park gates because dinosaurs attacking." Yet, the computer miraculously can interpret such a command line system. :rolleyes:

It was on IMDB's news page today.

It was on IMDB's news page today.

Threw me for a minute. I didn't know what you were talking about. But you meant the SG story was on IMDb.

Interestingly, the SG logo is all over the movie Mission to Mars.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.