Why I have been usin Nero, sofar ..

imwul

Up front: am a newbie here.

I have been using Nero since 2001-2002 (v5) and honestly speaking it never let me down. Starting with v 7 it got too big with all kinds of additional tools I would never use. I did one last upgrade to 8, though, admittedly, I still wonder why. When installing the software I 'disabled' most components, only leaving Burning ROM and "Tools" to be installed. Anyway, it did what it was supposed to do and there was no real need to seek for alternatives.

Recently, I moved to Windows 7 64bit and noticed that I actually had to upgrade to Nero v9. I would have to pay 40 euro, say some usd.55, and obviously the list of components to be disabled got even bigger then before. I donot need all that multimedia stuff. Also I notice there are quite some postings of unhappy users. Unhappy with the performance that is.

So I spent a LOT of time searching for the right tool (=days). Reading lots of reviews and istalled some programs. On many sites ImgBurn was highly recommended.

However, the name of the program puzzled me: a program merely capable of burning iso-like containerfiles??

I want to be able to burn folders and files... So initially, I skipped ImgBurn.

'ImgBurn' popped up again and again, so I gave it a try.

Today I burned a few dvd's (data & video). Whilst still having to explore all the features and options, but already now I can say : as for burning - it definitely is Nero-replacement!!

The layout of ImgBurn is really nice. No 'yelling' big buttons and big fontsize.

Three minor 'cons' from _my_ point of view:

1) it has no virtual CD feature (Nero->Tools). I know this is already 'covered' in another thread, we have to accept the fact that one needs to install Daemon or DVDFab for that, but then again, it requires another install.

2) ImgBurn does not burn 2x DVD5 of a DVD9 (I don't have a DVD9 burner). Nero cud not do that either AFAIK.

This one as well this is already 'covered' in another thread.

3) Though there are a lot of very nice 'Guides' here, I am missing a kind of PDF manual or searchable doc.

Example: goto Settings/Write - check 'Delete Image' check 'Close Program' - a searchable document might tell me the function.

But that aside - ImgBurn is great software!

Thanks for all the good work!!

=

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

1) it has no virtual CD feature (Nero->Tools). I know this is already 'covered' in another thread, we have to accept the fact that one needs to install Daemon or DVDFab for that, but then again, it requires another install.

Nero got rid of that program in ver 7 and upwards. There are two nice ones you can use instead and they are both free; Slysofts Virtual Clone drive and DVDFab Virtual Drive. The Daemon programs driver can slow down your verify speed in certain cases so I wouldn't use that one.

2) ImgBurn does not burn 2x DVD5 of a DVD9 (I don't have a DVD9 burner). Nero cud not do that either AFAIK.

This one as well this is already 'covered' in another thread.

ImgBurn will never be an authoring program, so you'll need an external program for this task.

3) Though there are a lot of very nice 'Guides' here, I am missing a kind of PDF manual or searchable doc.

Example: goto Settings/Write - check 'Delete Image' check 'Close Program' - a searchable document might tell me the function.

Both the ImgBurn Settings & Functions Guides are available in PDF format and thereby searchable.

Nero got rid of that program in ver 7 and upwards. There are two nice ones you can use instead and they are both free; Slysofts Virtual Clone drive and DVDFab Virtual Drive. The Daemon programs driver can slow down your verify speed in certain cases so I wouldn't use that one.

Thought this was still in 8 (under XP), yes, it was slow.

Both the ImgBurn Settings & Functions Guides are available in PDF format and thereby searchable.

Shame on me!

I overlooked The top 2 (pinned) postings of the Guides sections (The ImgBurn Functions/ The ImgBurn Settings)

Forgive me... :blush:

Thought this was still in 8 (under XP)

Might have been. I was using Vista when I used ver 7 and above.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.