Convention or specification for additional folders on DVD-Video discs

FlimsyFeet

I just wondered if there is any sort of official specification anywhere for the naming of folders on a DVD-Video disc.

My understadning from various sources is that there should always be a VIDEO_TS and an AUDIO_TS folder, the later is always empty but should be included for compatibility with DVD players.

Some DVDs also have a JACKET_P folder which contains some sort of thumbnail image for the disc.

Files for reading on a PC are usually placed in another folder - I don't have any discs to hand, but is this usually called DVD_ROM or DVD-ROM, or can it be any name?

Do files intended for a computer have to be in a separate folder? I think I've seen some autorun type files placed in the disc root in the past. Is this allowed under the DVD spec?

The reason I asked the question is that I recently tried burning a DVD-Video disc that had an AVI file in the root directory. Although it seems like bad practice and is probably not to be recommended, it sounds like such a disc does not contravene any standards or specs.

I used the "write files/foler" to disc mode of ImgBurn which led to the following interesting "conversation" (paraphrased as I can't remember the exact warnings):

IB - You have a VIDEO_TS folder, so I'm assuming this is a DVD-Video. Do you want to change the filesystem to ISO 9660 + UDF?

Me - Yes please.

IB - The disc contains an AVI file, so I'm assuming this is a DivX video disc. Do you want to change the filesystem to ISO 9660 + Joliet?

Me - Er, no, I've just told you I wanted UDF, so why are you asking me again?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.