Best Optical Drive for Burning/Alternative DVD INFO PRO

JuJuBean

Hello everyone! After more than 10 coasters... I finally decided to try and burn my music using my laptop...

Voila! It worked.... I was able to conclude that the drive was garbage. That said, which is the best DVD+R DL drive I can possibly purchase? Also, is there a non-paying alternative that is just as good as DVD info pro. I love IMGBURN and I have learned alot using it.

Can I put 100% faith and trust in the DATA DVDs I've been making with imgburn? Everything seems ok and I have been using Verbatim DVD+Rs [=

Additionally, will the drive you mention require me to purchase a new power supply?.... will they come with SATA cables?.... I think I'm going to wing it and

put this drive in myself. I am planning on having a backup combination of my music on DVDs burned with IMGBURN of course, flash drives, the main HD, and one external HD.

Also, is it true that the data on DVDs can lose quality over time?... so if I were to pull the data off of it 2 years later it wouldn't match up to the original, say, vs. a flash drive?

Thank everyone. Keep up the good work. I learn more and more each day.

The "degradation" of data on a recordable DVD depends on the quality of the media you use. Things like Vanguard discs would die on me after only a year. CMC Magnetics often times won't even finish a burn, let alone allow for testing how long the data lasts.

Unfortunately, DVD's are like everything else. The data will eventually be lost at some point in the future. So, there's nothing you can really do to prevent it. The laws of thermodynamics. But, a good quality DVD should last you a few decades, at least. Supposedly, the tests reveal that a DVD lasts 100 years. I doubt it, though, because CD's were supposed to last 30 years and we're now into those 30 years and some of the CD's, I believe, aren't holding up to the 30 year guarantee.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.