Regular BD-R vs. BD-R LTH

Rincewind

When the time comes (and I have the cash) for a new computer I am going to go Bluray (and remaster all the data discs from CD/DVD to bluray) that way I can dump the old ones and have less discs around.

The one question that is on my mind is the format. I am from the very start going to use only Verbatim bluray media (unless Sony is ok), and the only other exception for a non-verbatim brand is Tayo-Yuden.

What I want to know is the exact difference and any advantages/disadvantages between 'standard' bluray media and LTH (Low-To-High). I know that the LTH media is made from recycled material essentially, so does that have any negative impact over the long run, or result in higher chances of bad burns?

I also now don't know if I should even use Sony branded media (only for the fact that perhaps it isn't even from Sony, unless Sony is a little more strict on slapping their name on third party products?) Plus it is their format, so I kinda don't know why they wouldn't make their own media, rather than outsource it to Ritek, CMC-Magnetics, Insert_other_crappy_third_party_name_here.

Also being that bluray is so synonymous with DRM, but as far as recordable media is concerned, since Sony has total control of the format the good thing is that there is no +/- debacle like there is with recordable DVD.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on regular BD-R vs. BD-R LTH?

Edited by Rincewind

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.