Net Neutrality Upheld

Movie Junkie

The U.S. House Judiciary Committee has approved a bill upholding Net Neutrality, which will prevent ISPs from creating tiered services that prioritize data depending on how much money one is paying. The largets network providers are promoting the concept, but major bandwith users like Microsoft and Google are dead-set against it. The bill must be approved by the full Senate and House before it becomes law.

The U.S. House Judiciary Committee has approved a bill upholding Net Neutrality, which will prevent ISPs from creating tiered services that prioritize data depending on how much money one is paying. The largets network providers are promoting the concept, but major bandwith users like Microsoft and Google are dead-set against it. The bill must be approved by the full Senate and House before it becomes law.

or an exchange of massive amount of money into the right hands if ya cant pass it buy it :thumbup:

I'm impressed that Google and Microsoft are against it given the staggering amount of bandwidth these guys would need and use. Then again, perhaps that's why they're against it.

I'm impressed that Google and Microsoft are against it given the staggering amount of bandwidth these guys would need and use. Then again, perhaps that's why they're against it.

One thing for sure, they are not being magnanimous. They are only against it because it would cost them more money. Even though they would pass their additional costs along to their users I am sure that they feel they would wind up losing too may users.

Google might but I don't see Microsoft losing too many users. They've got what, 85% of the market share? There's a myriad of search engines available but really only 3 flavours of operating system worth mentioning. As much as I'd like to see Linux gain in popularity, I'd not like to see it because of a ridiculous bill passed by a committee made up of individuals no doubt looking to line their own pockets.

I started using Firefox before they called it that (I can't remember what the hell it was called but it went through several name changes.). I doubt I'll ever use IE again.

Likewise MJ, my first encouter was with Firebird v0.7.1 in late '03 through a my brother, i didn't really start using it until it was released as Firefox 1.0 and haven't touched IE since then. :)

I started using Firefox before they called it that (I can't remember what the hell it was called but it went through several name changes.). I doubt I'll ever use IE again.

Likewise MJ, my first encouter was with Firebird v0.7.1 in late '03 through a my brother, i didn't really start using it until it was released as Firefox 1.0 and haven't touched IE since then. :)

I remember using it prior to them changing the name to Firebird. I started out using their nightly builds and then started using their releases. It's been a great experience watching it grow into what it is today.

Spinner, grab Mozilla and see if you like it. It's faster, more flexible, has more bells and whistles (like a cookie manager), tabbed browsing etc etc. It can also import your IE bookmarks.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Opera is brilliant as well.

http://www.opera.com/download/

Honestly spinner it's the best thing to do - I held off for a couple of years as Shamus points out ( :lol: ) in the end IE was so annoying that I binned it and grabbed Firefox.

It's a massive improvement. Easier to use and to have your own preferences - the whole family prefer it..... :)

Shamus, as you're a bit cookiephobic as I recall, I take it you've seen the new "site preferences" dialog in Opera 9, whereby you can easily restrict cookies on a site-by-site basis, and even throw away cookies for that particular site on exit. You can also customise loads of other settings for a particular site too. Oh, and the ad-blocker is really good and easy to use :thumbup:

Shamus, as you're a bit cookiephobic as I recall,

:yes:

I take it you've seen the new "site preferences" dialog in Opera 9, whereby you can easily restrict cookies on a site-by-site basis, and even throw away cookies for that particular site on exit. You can also customise loads of other settings for a particular site too. Oh, and the ad-blocker is really good and easy to use :thumbup:

Honestly, I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and have a a good play with it. .......... <cough> The one thing that Opera has been lagging in is a good ad blocker. I have Opera 9 installed but as yet haven't looked at the new goodies it has. I shall endeavor to have a fiddle after work tonight. Thanks. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.