BenQ unveils Blu-ray writer

Shamus_McFartfinger

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle....BENQ-BLURAY.xml

Mon Jul 3, 2006 9:07am ET

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - BenQ Corp., Taiwan's top maker of cell phones and computer equipment, unveiled an optical disk writer which can handle the new Blu-ray high volume DVD storage format selling for 799 euros ($1,022) from August 2006.

A late August launch means that BenQ is one of the first electronics companies to sell a Blu-ray burner, simultaneously or even ahead of the main Blu-ray inventors and promoters Sony Corp, Pioneer and Philips.

The price of 799 euros, including value added tax (VAT), is aggressive for the first generation of Blu-ray disk recorders. Products from competitors will be priced at up to $1,500, excluding VAT.

Low prices and early availability of Blu-ray devices are important in the emerging battle for the next DVD standard. Blu-ray is competing with a format called HD DVD, led by Toshiba Corp. which has started selling a player at $499.

Blu-ray and HD DVD offer up to 50 Gigabytes of storage on a DVD sized disk. Most Blu-ray and HD DVD players will also play back and burn CDs and standard DVDs.

Studios hope the new formats, which offer the possibility to store high definition movies, will breathe new life into the $24 billion home video market.

? Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle....BENQ-BLURAY.xml

Mon Jul 3, 2006 9:07am ET

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - BenQ Corp., Taiwan's top maker of cell phones and computer equipment, unveiled an optical disk writer which can handle the new Blu-ray high volume DVD storage format selling for 799 euros ($1,022) from August 2006.

Good find Shamus. :thumbup:

To all of my friends here...that would make a nice belated birthday gift... ;);)

Edited by Movie Junkie

Yeah. I think I'll pass for the time being as well. Too rich for my blood. Speaking of rich, I saw an ad in the local paper today wanting people to pre-order their PS3 for November 17th (I think) for the bargain price of a grand in my money. (US$740 or ?400). Bargain!! :doh:

I am not buying straight away as I want to wait for a slightly different model :wink: but if I was I would probably wear the price as it's a blu ray player and a console - what's the price of the player on it's own ?

Yeah, I'd never buy a first gen bluray or hddvd drive.

The BluRay ones are pants! For instance, Pioneer had already started on version 2 when the 1st model was still just all talk!

They knew it was shit and yet still went ahead and sold it.

I guess if the parts really are that expensive, I wouldn't want to waste them either.

As the boss said there is something to be said for letting other folk "beta test" the new players.....

The way I see it the new players will launch, there will be problems and bugs, there might even be recalls, the brand name will take a bashing, the bugs will be fixed and then new releases will hit the shops ! During which time the price might even have come down ! :)

Yeah, I'd never buy a first gen bluray or hddvd drive.

The BluRay ones are pants!

:o I am shocked that Sony might launch the PS3 with a crappy component - that's just unbelievable.......

:lol:

Why not? Microsoft did it with the 360 and its overheating psu. :)

:o I am shocked that Sony might launch the PS3 with a crappy component - that's just unbelievable.......

:lol:

dont be shocked , they did the same with the slimline PSTwo . a large number of those boiled there bollocks off within days of purchase :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.