Windows 98 users on their own says Microsoft

Shamus_McFartfinger

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/4823/53/

By Stan Beer

Sunday, 02 July 2006

Windows 98 and Millenium Edition users will no longer be supported by Microsoft from July 11, leaving an estimated 70 million users exposed to hackers. In addition, security vendors are following Microsoft's lead and phasing out support for the ageing Windows versions, leaving users open to new virus attacks, according to a report in the Washington Post.

It would be tempting to lambast Microsoft for this action because, after all, 70 million plus users still represents a significant proportion of its cutomer base - according to the Washington Post report around 13%. However, as a former Windows 98 (and ME) user, it would be hard to argue with the logic that support for the ageing platforms cannot continue into perpetuity. In fact, even in their heyday both Windows 98 and ME were widely criticised for their instability, bugginess and lax security. For many of us, who had to endure almost daily system crashes for no apparent reason, the arrival of Windows 2000 could not have come a minute too soon.

What is surprising is not that Microsoft has announced the withdrawal of support but that it has continued support for both products for as long as it has. Also surprising is the number of Windows 98 and ME users that still persevere with the platforms. While their frugality is admirable, perhaps even necessary due to economic circumstances, there have already been two major upgrades since they installed their products and a third upgrade is around the corner. Understandably, Microsoft and other security vendors would rather focus their time on patching newer versions of Windows than on an operating system that should have been retired long ago.

Analysts have already said that Windows 98 and ME are becoming risky propositions to run because of the dwindling support for them in the security space. Microsoft is under pressure to boost growth in its stagnating operating system sales and there are at least 70 million users out there who are long overdue for an upgrade.

Face it, these computers are mostly at least 4-6 years old, they are obsolete, it's time to retire them. Just like a programmer wrote in a newsgroup he didn't see any reason to write his code to work with

such antiquated software.

I reload some old computers every now and then and give away to friends, they ask will it get on the internet, I say no, use it for young kids and old games or learning cd's.

It's for Charity..... :P

whose Charity his mistress or a stripper at the local titty bar,his favorite hooker ,do you have any pics :)

Speaking of which :lol: Charity always means something different to each individual. For Charity was remembered, as she was by all the other boys in my 5th grade class, as the only gal who had developed boobs by then. :devil:

=))

It's for Charity..... :P

whose Charity his mistress or a stripper at the local titty bar,his favorite hooker ,do you have any pics :)

Speaking of which :lol: Charity always means something different to each individual. For Charity was remembered, as she was by all the other boys in my 5th grade class, as the only gal who had developed boobs by then. :devil:

=))

any word on how Faith and Hope are doing :lol:

Face it, these computers are mostly at least 4-6 years old, they are obsolete, it's time to retire them. Just like a programmer wrote in a newsgroup he didn't see any reason to write his code to work with

I reload some old computers every now and then and give away to friends, they ask will it get on the internet, I say no, use it for young kids and old games or learning cd's.

I'm in almost the same boat as I mostly still use w2k (which is 7 years old now). I find it alot easier and faster to navigate than XP.

Hmm.... Lightning, are you going to dump 98/Me support as well?

any word on how Faith and Hope are doing :lol:

Hope had turned into Hore last I had Herd. As for Faith, I think she also teamed up with Charity for a country folk duo. :thumbup:

I'm in almost the same boat as I mostly still use w2k (which is 7 years old now). I find it alot easier and faster to navigate than XP.

Lightning? Hello? <tap> <tap> <tap> Is this thing working?

;)

Lightning? Hello? <tap> <tap> <tap> Is this thing working?

;)

from the looks of it Luk's still supporting 98 a member found a bug with it a the Big Kahoona fixed it right away :thumbup:

W2K support should extend a little longer, a lot of corps just finished moving to it in the last few years.

Since NT didn't support usb!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.