Pirates loot box office records

dbminter

Wow... who would have thought such a dumb movie like Dead Man's Chest would blow away so many box office records? :lol:

But, Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest did the following over the weekend:

1.) made $132 million

2.) broke the record for a three-day weekend set in 2002

3.) broke the record for a four-day weekend set just recently by X-Men: The Last Stand

4.) broke the record for the biggest single day gross in box-office history

5.) broke the record for the biggest two day gross

6.) became the fastest film ever to cross $100 million gross

7.) broke the record for per theater average (factoring in gross per theater versus the number it played in and the number of screens per theater, which greatly helped it, since it was the fourth widest release, per theater, in history.)

Because of this, the US box office itself a new record: $217 million, beating 2004's with a Harry Potter film.

Online ticket sellers also set records because people wanted to avoid sold out theaters.

And, with Cars passing the $200 million mark without anyone hardly noticing... why is it that dumb films always set the records? :lol: Now, I am lumping some films I saw and liked under the "dumb" banner, so, by "dumb" I mean, basically, films that don't really deserve the accolades they get. :wink: For instance, Spider-Man held the previous 3 day weekend record that was broken. Yet, Spider-Man 2 was the FAR better picture but didn't set any records. As for Pirates, I've not seen either of them, and, don't want to. But a former friend now a blithering idiot :dunce: thinks these are the best movies ever made. So, they must be crap, simply because I say so. QED. :albert:

Oh, I WISH more comics writers wrote movies. :) But, the only ones who really do are overrated like Frank Miller. Like Simon Furman would ever be allowed to write the Transformers movie coming out next year.

Frank Miller wrote Robocop 2 and 3 and Sin City. Now, in his defense, R2 and 3 were hacked to bits (In fact, they both came from the same script.) BUT I've read his original and, R2 is actually BETTER! :rolleyes: Simon Furman wrote the Transformers comics for the UK and wrote the better stories towards the end of its US run.

And, what I want from a movie? I'll start off with some simple thing ;) like characters with believable motivations, not just stirred on by a plot or character trait. Actions that matter, i.e. that have SOME kind of consequence and don't just roll along to lead into the next explosion, etc. Maybe, just once, a BELIEVABLE romance! :lol: I get tired of the same dreck where the guy gets the girl at the end just because he's the handsome lead. THE END. :doh:

Frank Miller wrote Robocop 2 and 3 and Sin City. Now, in his defense, R2 and 3 were hacked to bits (In fact, they both came from the same script.) BUT I've read his original and, R2 is actually BETTER! :rolleyes: Simon Furman wrote the Transformers comics for the UK and wrote the better stories towards the end of its US run.

And, what I want from a movie? I'll start off with some simple thing ;) like characters with believable motivations, not just stirred on by a plot or character trait. Actions that matter, i.e. that have SOME kind of consequence and don't just roll along to lead into the next explosion, etc. Maybe, just once, a BELIEVABLE romance! :lol: I get tired of the same dreck where the guy gets the girl at the end just because he's the handsome lead. THE END. :doh:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame has been done :lol:

Actually, I have to give some credit to Disney's adaptation of that film from about 10 years ago. :) I can't really say it's a great movie, but, damn, credit where it's due for trying something different with a standard, sacchrine Disney movie. The idea of casting the Catholic church, through Frolo, as the villain, and the fact that the hero doesn't get the girl at the end was a refreshing change of pace. And, yes, while they did throw out the original themes almost entirely because you can't go teaching the kiddies that if you're ugly, you won't get anywhere in life :lol: at least, they did tackle the themes of isolation and xenophobia.

I took the family to see Dead Mans Chest on Saturday - it's great, as Shamus said, pure escapism, funny, jumpy and a movie suitable for all the family.

Despite it being almost 2.5 hours long it was still time well spent as far as we were concerned - can't wait for the the 3rd movie now ! :pirate:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.