"Booktype" question.

81RED

Would someone, for the sake of my sanity, please clarify something for me?

Having swapped a newly acquired, and quite defective Pioneer DVR-111 for a Plextor PX-750A (firmware 1.02), I am now able to burn DL media again. However, the booktype ends up with "DVDR+R DL", and I have one title that requires the booktype set to DVDROM. Going into the "booktype" menu, selecting Plextor and selecting DVD+R DL I get a "Current setting: Unknown (FAILED!)"

Am I doing something obviously stupid?

I think the newer Plextor drives block 3rd party apps from changing the booktype stuff.

You may need to use PlexTools.

btw, you are reading the 'Last Recorded' booktype values yeah, not the ADIP one? Most drives default to DVDROM for DVD+R DL now.

I think the newer Plextor drives block 3rd party apps from changing the booktype stuff.

You may need to use PlexTools.

btw, you are reading the 'Last Recorded' booktype values yeah, not the ADIP one? Most drives default to DVDROM for DVD+R DL now.

I?m afraid you lost me there - Imgburn tells me that the booktype is "DVDR+R DL" whenever I reinsert a disk just written, whether that info is correct or not, I?m not at liberty to say :)

Oh and Plextools is no use, I can see the option for changing booktype, but its greyed out.

just to check, are you looking far enough down in the right pane?

PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A 1.09 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 3.812.032

Size: 7.807.041.536 bytes

Time: 847:09:07 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2,4x; 4x

DVD?R DL Boundary Information:

L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1.944.864

Changeable: No

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01

Book Type: DVD+R DL

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196.608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16.580.607

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2.283.519

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-ROM

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16.502.911

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2.141.471

Layer Information:

Layer 0 Sectors: 1.944.864 (51,02%)

Layer 1 Sectors: 1.867.168 (48,98%)

Well as I'm sure you know, greyed out stuff normally means the option isn't available - for whatever reason.

I don't have a 750 to test it out.

The obvious thing to check here is that you're running the latest version of PlexTools. Version 2.32a I believe.

ImgBurn's bitsetting stuff still works ok on my newer 760 so there's no reason for it not to work on the 750 really, other than the possibilty of the commands still being blocked. As the 750 is a rebaged BenQ/Teac, maybe a different set of commands are used. Who knows!

In all honesty, I'd have kept the Pioneer over that drive - Obviously you'd have still RMA'd it for a new one though, just not swapped to a totally different drive.

As the 750 is a rebaged BenQ/Teac, maybe a different set of commands are used. Who knows!

To set the Book Type on my Plextor 740A, rather than set the drive tab to Plextor, I set it to Benq. My 740A is after all a "Benq" drive. This allows me to change the Book Type for +R, +RW & +R DL. Following any change the new booktype is correctly shown as the current booktype.

Presumably this is successfully changing the booktype. *IF* I could successfully burn a DVD+R DL I could read the disc to be certain, but I have had no success thus far.

Plextor 740A w/ firmware v1.02 (the latest)

Maxell (actually a "RITEK") DVD+R DL

"Saving Private Ryan" from folder on HDD

Burning with PGCEdit and IMGBurn, I can create an ISO version that is reported as "Okay". Also, when mounted it plays perfectly. However, with several attempts at burning to DVD, I have created a DVD that fails verify, but seems to work, another that fails to play some of the "specials" and another that stopped writing halfway through the burn.

The disk is more than 99% full, so the only suggested location for the Layer Break was the midpoint of the DVD where it is located on the original disc. I left this location unchanged.

I have switched to Verbatim DVD+R DL media. This was what I wanted in the first place but couldn't find any at the local stores.

So far I haven't tried burning with the Verbatim as I wanted to do some more research first...

Any suggestions as to what I should try next are GREATLY appreciated!

Tom

save a lot of research and ditch these discs the only discs that perform right are the Verbatim DL's.Theres lots of posts from members having nothing but problems with Ritek DL

save a lot of research and ditch these discs the only discs that perform right are the Verbatim DL's.Theres lots of posts from members having nothing but problems with Ritek DL

I've had no problem burning single-layer discs. For the the DLs I did switch to Verbatim, but I'm still getting coasters.

With my Plextor 740A and PGCEdit/ImgBurn the ISO file is created with no errors. When I burn the disc no errors are indicated. However, during the Verify stage I get:

I/O Error! Unrecovered Read Error. This occurs *prior* to reading side 2 of the disc, so I'm assuming the layer break is not the cause of the errors.

The burned disk freezes and some menu choices don't function. DVDInfo shows that the Booktype is set to "DVD-ROM". Also the Layer Break is set to the same sector as the original disk.

Any ideas are welcome!!!

Tom

Either you have duff verbatims then or your drive just can't burn them properly.

It's expensive to figure out which it is though!

Ain't that the truth!

My opinion is that the problem is the burner. I called Plextor tec support today and they agree that the problem seems to be the burner itself. They have agreed to send a replacement, so I will ship the drive off to them tomorrow. I hope they move fast...

They'll probably send another 740 as a replacement, but I'm hoping they don't have any and have to send a 750. It can't hurt to get a newer drive. :-)

Thanks for your imput!

Tom

just to check, are you looking far enough down in the right pane?

PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A 1.09 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 3.812.032

Size: 7.807.041.536 bytes

Time: 847:09:07 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2,4x; 4x

DVD?R DL Boundary Information:

L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1.944.864

Changeable: No

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Book Type: DVD+R DL

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16.580.607

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2.283.519

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-ROM

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16.502.911

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2.141.471

Layer Information:

Layer 0 Sectors: 1.944.864 (51,02%)

Layer 1 Sectors: 1.867.168 (48,98%)

Oh my, now I feel like a right prat. :D

The drive does indeed set the booktype to DVDROM, I was just not looking in the right place.

All is well - my DL media plays on my standalone, and my "other" DL project also works fine.

Thank you very much for pointing that out!

Well as I'm sure you know, greyed out stuff normally means the option isn't available - for whatever reason.

I don't have a 750 to test it out.

The obvious thing to check here is that you're running the latest version of PlexTools. Version 2.32a I believe.

ImgBurn's bitsetting stuff still works ok on my newer 760 so there's no reason for it not to work on the 750 really, other than the possibilty of the commands still being blocked. As the 750 is a rebaged BenQ/Teac, maybe a different set of commands are used. Who knows!

In all honesty, I'd have kept the Pioneer over that drive - Obviously you'd have still RMA'd it for a new one though, just not swapped to a totally different drive.

As you can gather from my reply to cornholio7, it was me who was too daft to realize that the drive did indeed set the booktype correctly. Why I cannot manually set the booktype still remains a mystery though, none of the vendor-specific tabs in Imgburn does the trick, and neither does the latest Plextools. Methinks the firmware is just designed that way.

And by the way: (Pardon me if I should open a new thread for this) What does "Verify against image file: NO" when verifying imply? I cannot see any option anywhere to switch that on.

I've had no problem burning single-layer discs. For the the DLs I did switch to Verbatim, but I'm still getting coasters.

With my Plextor 740A and PGCEdit/ImgBurn the ISO file is created with no errors. When I burn the disc no errors are indicated. However, during the Verify stage I get:

I/O Error! Unrecovered Read Error. This occurs *prior* to reading side 2 of the disc, so I'm assuming the layer break is not the cause of the errors.

The burned disk freezes and some menu choices don't function. DVDInfo shows that the Booktype is set to "DVD-ROM". Also the Layer Break is set to the same sector as the original disk.

Any ideas are welcome!!!

Tom

Yeah maybe the firmware is just fixed for the bitsetting stuff. Bit unusual for a Plextor drive though, I guess they got lazy!

As for the verify stuff, it's on the 'Write' tab in the settings.

'Verify Against Image File'

Second time today i feel stupid. I was so naive that I automatically

assumed an option to do with verification would be placed under the "Verify"

tab. Of course it?s under "Write". How utterly silly of me. ;)

lol well that setting only applies to Write mode, that's why it's under 'Write'. Some people just wanted write mode to verify the same way older versions did - i.e. just testing the disc was readable - hence the reason I added that option.

Verify mode can't NOT compare against an image file - as the GUI forces you to select one.

(in v2, that's now optional)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.