Automating Microsoft Configuration Utility StartUp entries?

dbminter

Is there a way to use .REG keys to uncheck/remove StartUp entries in Microsoft Configuration Utility? i.e. is there a common Registry key/branch that contains this information? Or, is it impossible except on an individual basis, depending on where the software installs a key? What I want to do is, if possible, have a .REG key that unchecks/disables/removes a given checked "thing" that starts on StartUp, controlled by MCU. Such as zlclient, a common one added by ZoneAlarm. [ No, I don't want to disable that, and, neither do you! ;) ] Then, I can just create a shortcut to silently import the key and put that shortcut in the StartUp folder of the Start Menu. That way, any updates, new versions, etc. that re-add them will be taken care of on each start of Windows. Thus, I won't have to worry about them. Similar to keys I've already developed to keep MY settings, such as my default CD/DVD players, etc.

Thanks!

No Run under HKCU. The other key doesn't really appear to be of much use without some advanced programming to search the Registry. I suppose I might be able to create something in WinBatch to get the keys and compare them to a list, deleting entries if found. Then, updating the code would be just as easy as inserting a name into the list. I was hoping, so, should have known better :lol: that there might be a list of everything that has ever appeared, ala the way MCU's StartUp ACTUALLY works :rolleyes: and that there would be keys with 1 or 0 or the like for on and off. Like the check boxes in MCU. Microsoft idiots! :lol:

But, this gives me something to try. :thumbup: Thanks!

Just thinking off the top of my head (or blowing it outa my arse - one of the 2).

You could make a little batch/reg file to kill/start things (look for help under regsvr32 to get it setup the way you want). Have that in your run or runonce key (runonce evaporates after running it).

Regards

I never approached it that way. Never thought of the StartUp items as Services. Are they really Services, though? I never paid any attention, but, wouldn't they have different names in StartUp, e.g. sometimes just their executable name, versus a more robust full name in the Services MMC? Plus, stopping them wouldn't necessarily be the same as removing them from StartUp, because they may just go into Manual mode. The way I see it working best, probably, is the WinBatch idea. That way, I can keep 1 variable, a list within the code, where all the things I want removed are. As opposed to having to keep track of multiple .REG files. Or, it may be possible to just add them all to one file.

I forget. Is there a command to put into a .REG file that will delete a key? I know how to add them. That was simple enough. ;) Take, for instance, removing a dreaded entry, the Time Sink ad bot:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"TimeSink Ad Client"="\"C:\\Program Files\\TimeSink\\AdGateway\\TSADBOT.EXE\""

This is a .REG file would add the key. But, what, if anything, can be used to say take it out of the .REG? If such a thing can be done.

Oh, NO way! :o Microsoft COULDN'T have ACTUALLY made it THIS simple?! :o

Simply use [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] to remove the entire branch and

"TimeSink Ad Client"=-

to remove the key?!

• 2 weeks later...

After testing with my system since I need to restore it back to basic system install level, there are two keys at play here.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

The first is the key that actually runs things. The 2nd is apparently just the text for the fields that MSCONFIG displays. Meaning, delete the 2nd and not the first and though the entry disappears from MSCONFIG, it still runs. Just check Task Manager. Delete the first and not the 2nd and the entry does not run and does not appear. Also, it appears that the 2nd key is used for any unchecked entries in MSCONFIG so they can be rechecked and enabled again later.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.