Can no longer read disc contents from booted disc

dbminter

This is not really an ImgBurn topic, I suppose, but, I've put it here. If anyone wants to move it to somewhere else it may belong, go ahead. :)

I can no longer access disc contents from a disc booted into MS-DOS. I used to be able to boot from a bootable disc and access contents from it. Now, I get this message:

CDR101 Not ready reading drive Z Abort, Retry, Fail?

I get this from both my old IMA file and a new one I created using a USB floppy drive, formatting it in Windows 7 to create a rescue disk, adding the necessary files to CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, and extracting the bootage image from it in ImgBurn.

device=a:\vide-cdd.sys /D:mscd001 in CONFIG.SYS and

set CDDRIVE=Z

LH a:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDDRIVE% in AUTOEXEC.BAT

So, what am I doing wrong now? :)

I'm not realy into it but shouldn't %CDDRIVE% actualy be Z in that line?

I have one boot.ima that i use sometimes to flash BIOS, I found somwhere on the net.

If you want it I can put it somwhere and give you the link

The Set command sets the CDDRIVE part to Z so the command line gets the proper setting. I used it before back when it used to work, so, I don't think it's that.

Thanks for the ima, but, I doubt that it will help as I used both my old one that used to work and new one created in Windows 7 and still got the same result.

You may be right, but, I don't think there was any kind of output from the sys file that indicated anything other than it loaded. Which I believe was the same behavior I had before when it was working. BUT, I hadn't tested my previously working bootable DVD with this computer I got 2 years ago this May. So, you may be right in that the controller is no longer supported. I would attribute it to the controller because I tried it 3 different drives, 2 SATA and one PATA, and they all return the same error. I believe I had used the PATA drive before in my last computer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.